DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

My wireless speed connected with my internet speed?

• garyi
  • Topic Author
More
18 Oct 2010 20:48 #1 by garyi
Sorry I am probably being stupid but I am detecting something quite strange.

I have a vigor 2820VPn wireless N.

My entire network consists of Macs.

I actually only have two things that use wireless a Wii which is rarely on and my macbook which is wireless N.

In general I have been satisfied with the speed.

However in the past week my internet connection has been cut to half a meg, due to instability on the line.

At the same time my wireless speeds have dramatically declined. To transfer from an ethernet connected mac to my macbook, 2 gigs of data is estimated to take 2 hours and thats with ACk set to 0 on the mac.

I have a number of potential leads:

1. The instability on the line is caused by the 2820 and resultant wireless speeds are knackered, in other words the 2820 is broken.

2. Upgrading to the latest firmware has knackered the wireless (very possible, as speeds really went south after upgrading to Drayteks latest firmware)

3. My wireless speeds on the LAN for some reason is connected with my internet speed (WAN)

I would really appreciate some pointers here as I am at a loss to know what to do.

Some other clues:

When I was really cut back on internet speed (512kb) and I maxed it out I could not screen share with other macs or connect to them, the macs I could not connect to are fixed IPs and the DNS was set with the ISPs

Is there some sort of other thing I should be using and proxing out to my DNS for internet access (Sorry if this is crap talk I am not so good on this stuff)

Long and short is wireless speeds are terrible. What to do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2010 23:11 #2 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic My wireless speed connected with my internet speed?
What firmware version are you using?

If you are on the latest 3.3.4.1 see this post http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14935

Howard

• garyi
  • Topic Author
More
19 Oct 2010 07:15 #3 by garyi
Thanks for that, I did update to the latest.

They mention in that post to run down the MTU?

I giess I am able to roll back the firmware otherwise?

More
19 Oct 2010 09:35 #4 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic My wireless speed connected with my internet speed?
Yes if your MTU is too high the router has to split every packet into 2 and that seems to slow the whole thing down.

The other thing is that a reduction in your ADSL speed and wireless could be caused by interference form some new electrical equipment in your or neigbours nearby. New cordless phone, homplug, baby alarm or blutooth device etc?

Howard

• garyi
  • Topic Author
More
19 Oct 2010 17:26 #5 by garyi
Well I tired to check my MTU with telnet and it just said a between value.

How do I set the MTU?

• garyi
  • Topic Author
More
19 Oct 2010 21:50 #6 by garyi
OK I find the MTU settings in the wan section, however my ISP says its to be set a 1492 which it is, so should I not leave it alone?

Also I don't understand why this effects wireless speeds on my line?

Moderators: ChrisSami