DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

21CN BT Wholesale connections

• lozstlouis
  • Topic Author
More
27 Oct 2010 16:23 #64526 by lozstlouis
21CN BT Wholesale connections was created by lozstlouis
We install a fair few Draytek routers on projects. We also have two or three ISPs that we use for these 100+ connections. BT Wholesale are sweeping through the country with the 21CN upgrades to all xDSL circuits. However one of the ISPs who up until now has not shown any interest in routers is telling us that we should expect trouble from Draytek units running on 21CN circuits. Hmmm.

Now I am used to doing Cisco IOS & firmware patches & these usually solve problems but the ISP is telling us that so far no fix can be found for Drayteks. According to them; thier own stats show that almost all problems with 21CN being flaky is where Drayteks are used. On all the citcuits where they have then changed to a Thomson or Cisco the problem goes away.

They have had one partner who has had to change all their customers Drayteks, despite trying to live with them. Apparently they dont like the higher speed (carrier frequency?) of 21CN, intermittently drop out and then take a few minutes to reconnect, if they do at all (sometimes they refuse to reconnect). Particularly affects ipsec vpns of course.

Anyone else had suchlike feedback? Not the odd one but lots?

www.alits.co.uk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2010 17:32 #64528 by candl
Replied by candl on topic 21CN BT Wholesale connections
All I can say is I installed a 2820 about 3 months ago on a BT 21CN line, it runs an IPSec VPN back to our head office, syncs at about 14Mb and I've not noticed any problems.

• lozstlouis
  • Topic Author
More
28 Oct 2010 08:20 #64532 by lozstlouis
Replied by lozstlouis on topic 21CN BT Wholesale connections
Hi candl - do you know what modulation you are using?

www.alits.co.uk

More
28 Oct 2010 08:36 #64534 by candl
Replied by candl on topic 21CN BT Wholesale connections
Yep, G.992.5, its synching at 16Mb down and 1.152Mb up on a 30db attenuation line.

More
28 Oct 2010 09:15 #64536 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 21CN BT Wholesale connections
I think those warnings are about the 2800 series, not the 2820, since they're very different routers :)

• lozstlouis
  • Topic Author
More
28 Oct 2010 20:58 #64544 by lozstlouis
Replied by lozstlouis on topic 21CN BT Wholesale connections
Depends which ISP you ask. The one in question (who shall remain nameless for now) points the finger at 2600 - 2820 with all firmware. Bit of a sweeping statement if you ask me.

www.alits.co.uk

Moderators: ChrisSami