DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 opening a port for wireless IP camera

• bglister
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jul 2011 23:37 #68603 by bglister
I have tried and tried, but cannot get this to work. I have installed a wirless IP camera sucessfully on my router with an IP address of 192.168.1.17 . I am now trying to set this up for remote observation over the 'net on port 8090 (as manufacturer recommends).

Although I believe I have put the right settings into the NAT Open Ports set up, it just does not seem to open the port up for me, verified by using 3rd party port checking software. Please...what am I doing wrong, is there another setting somewhere that I need to check?

I have checked the Enable box; Local computer is the IP address for the camera (as above); I have tried protocols of: TCP, UDP and TCP/UDP, and set start port and end port to 8090, and OK'd it. I have tried similar in the Port Redirection and Port Trigger areas too, but nothing.

If I go into System Maintenance: Management, and set tick Management Access Control, I can get into the router remotely (but I immediately disable that) - which also verifies that I can login into the router over the internet.

Any help would be great. I am not knowledgeable on all of these settings, and there are alot!

Thanks
Bryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2011 10:00 #68607 by voodle
The router won't be using port 8090 at all so it should forward easily but make sure you've set the router as the default gateway on the camera otherwise it won't be accessible from the internet at all.

More
15 Jul 2011 10:06 #68609 by nealuk
Can you confirm, that internally if you put 192.168.1.17:8090 in to your browser you get the camera?

• bglister
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jul 2011 13:57 #68611 by bglister
Replied by bglister on topic Re: 2820 opening a port for wireless IP camera

nealuk wrote: Can you confirm, that internally if you put 192.168.1.17:8090 in to your browser you get the camera?

Yes, 192.168.1.17:8090 takes me straight to the camera - no problem in that respect. My suspicion is that the problem is the router settings rather than the camera.

• bglister
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jul 2011 14:02 #68612 by bglister
Replied by bglister on topic Re: 2820 opening a port for wireless IP camera

Voodle wrote: The router won't be using port 8090 at all so it should forward easily but make sure you've set the router as the default gateway on the camera otherwise it won't be accessible from the internet at all.

Other settings I have already put into the camera via its browser:

Camera IP address: 192.168.1.17
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS Server: 192.168.1.1
HTTP port: 8090

Hope those are OK. Like I said, I used an online port checking website and it reports port 8090 as closed, and also 80. I can open access to the router from the net using the management settings menu in the router, but I guess that is leaving the doors wide open (and still does not get me access to the camera).

Thanks
B

• bglister
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jul 2011 18:00 #68616 by bglister
UPDATE

The IP camera I am using is wireless. I originally programmed it via its web interface whilst it was plugged into the Draytek 2820 putting the shared network key etc into it. So far so good.

I unplugged the camera from the router, and could access its web browser interface OK and see the image. However, could not access it from the net, or get the camera to email pictures. That's the point I was at when I first posted.

This afternoon, I plugged camera back into the router (with port forwarding set), and everything works just fine. I can access over the internet and log straight into the camera. So from this point of view, the port forwarding must work OK. However, when I unplug the camera from the router and reconnect wirelessly, I cannot log in over the internet or get the camera to email alarm pictures, but is fine logging in from my local web browser. There is therefore something different happening in the overall system depending on the mode that is being used to connect the camera: wired works, wireless partially works.

So....can anyone help me from there? I bound the IP address of the camera to its MAC address right at the beginning. It still looks like I am missing a setting on the Draytek to get this working right, but I am at the limit of knowdledge and experience now!

With thanks
Bryan

Moderators: Sami