DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 opening a port for wireless IP camera

More
15 Jul 2011 18:58 #68619 by voodle
Check the syslog output from the router to see if it's receiving those open ports requests

Also, try confirming whether you can even access that IP remotely, first check whether you've got a WAN address on the router starting with 192.x,172.x or 10.x, none of those are routable directly from the internet and would require port forwarding on whatever is routing things through - that's assuming you're not using ADSL though, it's only going to be a problem with ethernet or 3G connections.
Turn on remote management on the router under system maintenance then management by ticking allow management from the internet and restart when prompted. Once it's back up, see if you can then access the router remotely on port 80 or not, that'll be fairly absolute proof of whether the router is receiving any of that traffic or not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bglister
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jul 2011 19:39 #68620 by bglister
Replied by bglister on topic Re: 2820 opening a port for wireless IP camera

Voodle wrote: Check the syslog output from the router to see if it's receiving those open ports requests

Also, try confirming whether you can even access that IP remotely, first check whether you've got a WAN address on the router starting with 192.x,172.x or 10.x, none of those are routable directly from the internet and would require port forwarding on whatever is routing things through - that's assuming you're not using ADSL though, it's only going to be a problem with ethernet or 3G connections.
Turn on remote management on the router under system maintenance then management by ticking allow management from the internet and restart when prompted. Once it's back up, see if you can then access the router remotely on port 80 or not, that'll be fairly absolute proof of whether the router is receiving any of that traffic or not.

Hi,
Cannot follow all the technical detail. But I can access the camera IP 192.168.1.17 from a network PC and the camera appears under WAN on the router. If I switch remote management on, I can access the router over the internet using the router's static IP.

Essentially, it all works as I want to when the camera is plugged directly into the router - i.e. from PC AND internet. When camera is connected wirelessly, I can access from PC but NOT internet. I must be missing some vital setting that allows internet access to drill through the router and reach the camera wirlessly (plus traffic in other direction too).

More
16 Jul 2011 13:56 #68635 by nealuk
From reading the history, I am thinking that this Camera has both a Wired LAN connection as well as a Wireless LAN connection.

You've bound the MAC address of the Wired LAN to IP 192.168.1.17 - but then when the LAN Ethernet Cable is unplugged, presumeably the camera operates over the Wireless LAN.

If so, surely there's a different MAC address for the Cameras Wireless Network Card, and as such the 2820 will be allocating a different IP address to this (for example 192.168.1.18).

Maybe the port forwarding needs to be updated to this Wireless LAN IP address?

• bglister
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jul 2011 14:46 #68636 by bglister
Replied by bglister on topic Re: 2820 opening a port for wireless IP camera
Thanks for that. I guess you are right.

I unbound the IP address from the camera, hey presto, it works (and rather well!). Thanks for that - you provided some inspiration there which helped me on my wat to success.

Moderators: Sami