DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2950 Rebooting when connected to WAN

• dushami
  • Topic Author
More
13 Sep 2011 11:47 #69334 by dushami
2950 Rebooting when connected to WAN was created by dushami
Bought one of these a while ago with the intention of load balancing / routing traffic across an (expensive!) SDSL line and a standard broadband line. Basically, VPN services & email across the SDSL, all else uses the ADSL. It's only now that I've gotten around to installing it & I'm having a major problem getting this going. Its running the latest firmware (3.30). I've configured it to use WAN1 for the SDSL connection which is fed from a Cisco Router using a static IP. I've left WAN2 disabled for now. If I connect the 2950 to the LAN, I can ping it & login to configure it, but as soon as I connect the WAN1 port to the cisco (tried x-over cables also) it seems to 'reboot' every 15 seconds. If I run a continuous ping to the LAN port of the 2950, it responds for 15 seconds before all the lights 'flash' and the unit appears to reboot. The ping responses come back again after about 8 seconds. If I disconnect the WAN port, all is OK in it's little world.
Any Ideas? I'm prepared to start from scratch on this. The current configuration is very basic, a couple of NATs to the Exchange server, a rule to block outgoing port 25 from any other device. I've changed the management ports to 8080 and 8443. I want to get this working with the current SDSL connection before connecting the ADSL line. I will be buying a Vigor 120 for this in due course, assuming that the problems can be ironed out.

thanks
Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2011 12:46 #69336 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: 2950 Rebooting when connected to WAN
First idea: Does the cisco give an internal IP or an external IP to the vigor?

Second idea: Telnet in and issue the command ip arp accept 1 - so any rogue ARP messages that the 2950 can't cope with are ignored

Regards, Neal

• dushami
  • Topic Author
More
13 Sep 2011 21:38 #69352 by dushami
Replied by dushami on topic Re: 2950 Rebooting when connected to WAN
Thanks for that Neal,
The cisco wasn't configured for dhcp - it was supplied by the ISP. The static ip address that I gave the vigor was a valid external IP, as supplied by the ISP.
I'll telnet into the router tomorrow & issue that command. I should be able to test it around lunchtime & I'll post back. Will this command survive a reboot? Or does it have to be saved?
Also, there are 3 other vigor 2800's at remote sites with VPNs configured to connect to the current firewall. I haven't configured these on this vigor yet, do you think their attempts to connect to it will be causing it to reboot? I would hope not!

Rgds
Scott

More
13 Sep 2011 22:02 #69353 by nealuk
Possibly safest to be belt and braces:

ip arp accept 1
sys commit
sys reboot

If you plugged a PC in to the Cisco, does it give that the external IP details you are expecting?

I can't imagine VPN requests being a problem.

Regards, Neal

• dushami
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2011 09:08 #69358 by dushami
Replied by dushami on topic Re: 2950 Rebooting when connected to WAN
Yeah, the Cisco was supplied by the ISP, so I can't really do much with it without being 'spotted'! It works as it should anyway with the existing Firewall (firebox). I just need to reboot the cisco when I swap the firebox for the Vigor to make sure it picks up the change in MAC address. I'll be giving this a go around 2pm.

More
14 Sep 2011 09:33 #69359 by nealuk
If things don't go well, and the Cisco is currently used to seeing the MAC of your firebox, you could always clone this MAC and put it in to the WAN2 Specify a MAC Address section of your Vigor. We had to do this once on a 2950 where the ISP issued the Static IP address info based on the MAC of the device attached to their equipment.

Moderators: Sami