DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2850Vn and VirginMedia XXL (100Mbps) service

More
06 Aug 2012 15:49 #73164 by babis3g
When you mean quicker the standard (STD) ... means the ping?
Have you disable QoS >>> menu >> Bandwidth Management >> Quality of Service?

Also have you got from SH (modem mode) lan 4 to 2850 lan 4(wan 2) networking cable?cat5e or cat 6?.i use straight networking and not cross over

Draytek support don't works at weekends.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• and235100
  • Topic Author
More
07 Aug 2012 22:14 #73173 by and235100
Apologies - I wasn't clear.

I tested the STD, 232201 and 2471201 firmwares - and checked speedtest.net and downloaded 2 simultaneous demos using each firmware (over the same 2 hour period)

The seemingly "fastest" firmware was the STD - but there wasn't much between the STD and the 232201 (as you said)

As to QoS - that is what Draytek support asked me - even though I had told them I had disabled QoS...

Under Bandwidth Management,I have:
Sessions Limit - Disable
Bandwidth Limit - Disable
Quality of Service - Disable on each WAN interface.(Enable the QoS Control is unchecked on each WAN Index)

I am still only getting 60Mbps through the Draytek 2850Vn - checked again just now through my SH- got 95Mbps on Speedtest.net and downloaded a demo file (250Mb) - both directly through my SH (modem mode) and using the Draytek - 6.5Mb/s sustained (SH), 3.7Mb/s sustained (Draytek)

I only ever use CAT 6 STP cable. 1m patch cable between my SH (port 4) and Draytek router (LAN 4 / WAN 2).

Thanks for your help.

More
08 Aug 2012 14:11 #73178 by babis3g
Hi again
i have seen others using the 2850 including my self with VM 100 & getting all speed but as i said if your area has got congestion, even slightly will not give easy the full speed the 2850 (according to my experience of course)...don't know why

can you set up a monitor?? from thinkbroadband? and post it to see???(using the share graph)

If you never set one before you needs at System Maintenance >> Management to un-tick disable ping from internet (default is ticked)
At the monitor page,it will find your ip so just press create new monitor
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

I am guessing the 2 firmwares was the 3.6.2
If you have extra time and you did not test them before can you try the 2 LAST ones from the link below
Are the same but the 3.6.1 UK SEG & STD
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2850/Firmware/v3.6.1/annexA/

But can you keep it and give one more test after midnight or maybe better before 9am when is less traffic?
Even mine with low congestion, day time will not hit exactly 100mb but anything from 80-100 (this with me happens just sometimes and not always)

I will still say leave the MTU at 1500 or 1490,1492 or around over 1400 at least
1242 is too low

• and235100
  • Topic Author
More
13 Aug 2012 17:52 #73202 by and235100
Thank you for your post.

(BTW - Draytek support are useless - they keep saying "change load balancing to "by line speed" and put in your maximum download and upload" - I tried this, and surprise, surprise, it makes no difference at all)

I will take a look at setting up a monitor.

The trouble is - congestion is absolutely not the issue.

If I bypass my Draytek 2850VN, and disable modem mode on the SH, and use the internet through that - I consistently get 80-100Mbps (2 x 4-4.5Mb/s simultaneous downloads) between the hours of 4am and 7am.
For the same time period, using the Draytek, I get only around 60Mbps (2 x 3Mb/s simultaneous downloads)

The problem is the poor quality Draytek software (firmware) - and this isn't the first bad experience I have had with Draytek firmware - I have had a 2820Vn and a 2830Vn as well over the past few years!

I will have a look at the 3.6.1 firmware as well.

Draytek support cannot explain the following:

1) Why a firmware with a different ADSL code (apparently the only difference!) is consistently faster RE download speeds.
2) Why disabling the wireless on the 2850Vn makes downloading between 5Mbps and 10Mbps faster - at several times during the day and night that I have tried with and without wireless disabled.

To be honest, I may have to look at getting rid of Draytek, and using Cisco or another company who can provide VPN access...

More
14 Aug 2012 01:27 #73203 by babis3g
...double post sorry below edited for more info with my own experience results

More
14 Aug 2012 01:32 #73204 by babis3g

babis3g wrote: Well question one ... it must having to do affecting wan 2, as wan 2 is in mix with lan 4

Question 2, seems to me the 2850 must working at his full power
Many are forgetting how many work have to do the router (and any router) so seems to me the 2850 working at his full power & it strangles
Try disable ipv6 (VM not support yet this) and wan 1 & 3 turn it off

Now with XXL 100mb VM .... mine is getting anything from 85-100mb (depending firmware and time of the day) while the SH it self is almost always up to 105mb (only my 2920 is constant with 98-104mb with latest firmware)
VM 100 2850n

I have find out after testing with adsl from TT and VM.... (both lines on, auto-balance):

-Annex A STD firmware will give about 5-10mb more speed from other firmwares and less jitter by 1-3 ms(depending the times of the day) at wan 2 but the ADSL line (wan 1) may give 1 ms jitter more and 1-2 ms more ping
So wan 2 is better for the cable connection
-Annex A UK_SEG 90-100mb for wan 2 and jitter vary by +/- ... 1-3ms both connection are in the middle of the other firmwares(currently in use)
-Also i have test the 2471201 is very good for ADSL (seems less errors) but for the wan 2 speed and ping results are more unstable.I also notice with this firmware the wan 2 may go and down to 80-85mb but again for wan 1the ADSL is better

I will say load the STD firmwares if you keep the 2850 (like you reported in your test and thanks for feedback)

Personally I am not complaining because when i got mine i was aware about some issues but for handling 2 connections it is INDEED from the best in the market and that is why i am after it (ok not bother me if i get 10mb less out of 100, but i know 40 less is annoying)

PS
When i contact them long time ago about wan 2 that is unstable, they reply me saying is not much we can do for wan 2 .... just that simple
If you still have open ticket with support Can you ask them if they have any beta?so we try? and also point them this post if it help them in future firmware about wan 2

Yes 3.6.2 seems more poor firmware because apart the wi-fi you mentioned i have find out the 3.6.2 will flash the vdsl light from time to time after reboot (seems the vdsl is still on even at the setting are off)
At this stage according to monitor the jitter latency at adls and wan 2 (for both connections) is more .... i am 100 % sure

Thanks and hope the 3.6.1 STD will be better for you (more stable)

EDIT
For my personal interest can you tell me even by pm what shop did you get it from?Thanks

Moderators: Sami