DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850Vn Infinity, connection loss.

• rickblackdog
  • Topic Author
More
24 Oct 2012 17:35 #73921 by rickblackdog
2850Vn Infinity, connection loss. was created by rickblackdog
Hi, hope you can help. I've been running the 2850Vn on BT infinity for about a two months now and have not been able to maintain a reliable connection. I have sporadic loss of connection 2-3 times per day, the only solution is to reboot the router.

I'm running a separate DNS & DHCP server (it's also a mail & file server). I could not get the 2850Vn to work as VDSL (followed the guide to the letter), just through the openreach modem and PPPoE - this was the same on two separate client sites. Just flashing VDSL light and no connection. Anyone had any success with VDSL? If so...how? Anyone else had loss of connection issues and could point me with some solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2012 17:42 #73954 by e.s
Replied by e.s on topic Re: 2850Vn Infinity, connection loss.
I had mine working via vdsl, it was a pain to setup but I got it to work.

If you still need help let me know and I will post my settings for ya.

More
29 Oct 2012 18:37 #73956 by ollietait
Replied by ollietait on topic Re: 2850Vn Infinity, connection loss.
@ e.s yes please!

More
29 Oct 2012 21:17 #73957 by e.s
Ok, I shall start from the phone socket.

RJ11 phone wire connected to the phone socket and then connected to the vdsl/adsl socket on the front of the 2850vn.

Then connect an ethernet cable to GigaLAN1 and connect it to the ethernet port on the back of your pc.

That gets the wire connections out of the way :)

Anyway, open your browser and type 192.168.1.1 and then admin/admin for user and pass, if you have changed the password then use yours instead.

WAN

Goto General Setup and then Click on WAN2, at the top of the page you will see Enable: Yes/No select NO, then push OK.

Do the same for WAN3

Its basically just to make things a little less complicated, you can re-enable these later if you wish.

Next goto WAN1

Enable: select Yes

Type in a Display name that you want the connection to be named after, I just put in Router.

Physical Mode/DSL Mode, it was set to Auto, but I found that auto would sometimes stick on ADSL, so set DSL Mode to VDSL ONLY.

Jump down to VLAN Tag Insertion VDSL, enable it and set Tag Value for 101

Leave everything else alone

Push OK

Internet Access

WAN1 You should see Display Name, Physical Mode, Access Mode and a Details Page. Display name should have what you entered for the name of the connection in the previous steps. Physical mode should have the VDSL letters in green.

set Access Mode to PPPoE/PPPoA

Then click on Details Page then select the PPPoE/PPPoA Tab at the top of the page.

Click on Enable, if it isnt already.
ISP Access Setup, input your ISP Username and Password. PAP/CHAP should be selected and if you have a fixed ip then select Fixed IP and type in your Fixed IP Address in the box, if you have a dynamic ip then leave those settings as is.

Push OK

Multi-PVCs

General

Channel 1 on mine is pre-set for ADSL, so I have unticked and disabled it since I do not have adsl.

Channel 2 is Enabled, VPI 0, VCI 101, QoS Type UBR, Protocol PPPoA, Encapsulation, VCMUX.

I dont know if Multi PVCs is needed for you to connect, but thats what mine was set at automatically.

Multi VLAN

Channel 1 is enabled with add tag set at 101 and priority set at 0

Thats all I have done to mine on the connection side of things, I have enabled the firewall and wireless and usb stuff etc, but apart from that I havent messed with the actual VDSL status/setup settings at all.

I do notice that this router takes ages to actually connect, i.e your pc will take about 3-5 minutes or so before it actually recognises the connection.

Zen is my ISP

More
29 Oct 2012 21:41 #73958 by e.s
I cant add any more text to my previous post, but if for some reason it doesnt connect and if you run windows 7, open thenetwork and sharing centre then click on Troubleshoot problems as that may fix the connection for you, if all the settings are entered into the router properly.

• rickblackdog
  • Topic Author
More
12 Nov 2012 15:50 #74168 by rickblackdog
Replied by rickblackdog on topic Re: 2850Vn Infinity, connection loss.
Awesome - thanks for taking the time to put that all down, really appreciated it! At the moment it seems to have smoothed out having discovered an issue with the DoS settings (needed to set ICMP flood defense to 1000 packets/sec and turned off port scan detection). Fingers crossed it's OK from here on in. It's running over WAN2 in PPPoE at the moment so at some stage I'll switch it over to VDSL directly. Presumably there are speed benefits to a direct VDSL connection?

Moderators: Sami