DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Used 2850n router

More
12 Nov 2012 00:40 #74163 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Used 2850n router
i personal think keep it and keep the 2920...again personal opinion even if you got a brand new one will not do better right now with the current firmwares but be careful not rebooting it too much because you are aware of the dlm in the cabinet will drop synchronise as well and then even putting back the BT modem may get higher ping as result but i have a feeling will stay around that speeds if you not rebooting it much (at least with the current unstable firmwares)

i would say if you reboot it after many days too tick only 30a profile and carrier B43

Yes i got one from dabs, used item no fault found (as i have account with them) and hopefully by Wednesday will be here but will take longer to test it as my 2920 is back in the box and to the 2850 @ wan 2 is my VM cable connection and wan 1 adsl from TT

i had about 5-6 disconnections the last 2 weeks with current snr margin 9db but seems the 3.6.3 beta is unstable because i am watching the snr margin and is floating very easy (changing) all the time(seems like if will drop down to 3- 4bd will disconnect me then when will resynchronise it does going up to 12db but by time falling slowly again)

Thanks and hope your new modem stay with that speed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2012 04:27 #74196 by babis3g
for wi-fi extender you may have to go at Wireless LAN >> WDS Settings at 2920 & 2850
by the way is the connection keeps stable(same speeds)?
thanks

• niggly54
  • Topic Author
More
14 Nov 2012 17:15 #74208 by niggly54
Replied by niggly54 on topic Re: Used 2850n router
Yes- the connection is suprisingly stable. Although the download sync has dropped to around 74000 since I've been rebooting a lot, it has not rebooted or dropped the connection. Upload SNR is 91 (9.1) and download 49 (4.9). So- so far so good.

• niggly54
  • Topic Author
More
16 Nov 2012 11:12 #74224 by niggly54
Ok. It's been a few days now and things are not looking as rosy. There have been a few random disconnects- the most recent at 4am and 8.30 this morning. I have reverted to the 232201 UK SEG firmware. Loaded it last night and the connection was slightly faster. However, over the last week my sync speed has dropped from 79000 to 70000mbs. This could be due to the reboots and DLM on the line. My up SNR is presently 49 and my down 91. How do they compare to other BT Infinity connections of other members?

More
16 Nov 2012 23:51 #74232 by babis3g
yes rebooting many times the modem it will drop the speeds even with the BT one.this is well known cos of the dlm
when had my fttc at old address i turn off all electric in the house (had the BT modem) ...came back after a week and was getting 2 mbps less and ping from 15 gone up to 40
Check this thread for snr
seems draytek has not the demical so your 91 i think is 9.1 which is fine
http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Snr-margins/td-p/492345

• niggly54
  • Topic Author
More
17 Nov 2012 08:51 #74236 by niggly54
.....and here's another strange thing.
From my days as a hi-fi buff I remember the supposed importance of a clean mains supply. The Draytek was connected through a surge protected multiway adaptor from Asda. I have never been that impressed with it since one of the outlets was a bit temperamental. So, I decided to remove the mains adaptor from the multiway block and plug it straight into it's own wall socket. Now my up SNR is 99 and my down 64.
The connection has remained stable overnight with far, far fewer FEC errors, and no reboots so far. I would have thought the power section of the Draytek would be protected from the effects of mains quality- but maybe not. Next thought is trying a UPS with line conditioning.
By the way babis3g- your link above does not work.

Moderators: Sami