DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Help: Cannot get IPv6 working with a 2850

• jm_paulin
  • Topic Author
More
18 Dec 2012 17:35 #74567 by jm_paulin
I am using VDSL, a Modem Vigor2850n with Firmware 3.6.3_2471201. I am trying to get IPv6 running. My ISP support IPv6, and that seems to work fine for others with other kind of routers. The aim is to get my small web servers visible directly via IPv6.

I did check my ISP is IPv6 enabled. I used the OpenReach modem directly into one of my Win7 machine. I created a PPPoE dialup connection and I got full IPv6 addresses and connectivity. So I assume my ISP is fine, which other ISP users seems to agree with.

Back to the Draytek2850, I setup my IPv6 connection with PPP:
- My LAN gets IPv6 addresses within the /48 block allocated by my ISP. All my machines on my LAN can see each others using IPv6 (Yeah!!!). I can see the DHCPV6 Router advertisement frames on my LAN.
- My WAN gets just a FE80::.../128(Link).

Seems like I do not have IPv6 visible the outside world, and I certainly cannot remote ping6 any of the machines on my LAN...

Q: Has anyone got any success with IPv6 ?
Q: Am I doing anything wrong config wise?

JM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2012 01:53 #74569 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Help: Cannot get IPv6 working with a 2850
Hi
I may have not solution for this problem because even i have 2 isp's (TT & VM) no one provide yet ipv6 so with my 2850n have disable ipv6
But i can point you 2 links if will help you out but bear in mind looking regular at this forum some mentioned problems with this model and ipv6
Also bear in mind that ONLY ONE WAN can set up or will work for ipv6 (that saying in the 2nd link video below)
Hope the links will help you
http://www.draytek.com/.upload/file/PDF/Vigor2850%20IPv6%20highlights_Version%203_6_0.pdf
After 1:40" how to set ipv6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ypjEf8ZC2p4#!

• jm_paulin
  • Topic Author
More
19 Dec 2012 09:12 #74574 by jm_paulin
Replied by jm_paulin on topic Re: Help: Cannot get IPv6 working with a 2850
Thanks for the links

I already been through the PDF. I even dared to buy the eBook IPv6 expecting some more insight into my issue, but no luck.
The video is also interesting and I did not know about it. That should probably be better advertised on the web site.

But I do not even get the IPv6 address on the WAN side, and I am configured using PPP as suggested/preferred. So something is going wrong. back to the logs, ethereal and support : :cry:

Thanks

JM

More
19 Dec 2012 12:07 #74577 by babis3g
Oh dear my case 2 isp and not ipv6 ...some time i will have to check it and try the option for if isp not provide ipv6 with tunnel if i remember the video correct
Good luck with the support and let me know if you don't mind what was wrong as a 2850 user my self

• jm_paulin
  • Topic Author
More
20 Dec 2012 13:38 #74584 by jm_paulin
Replied by jm_paulin on topic Re: Help: Cannot get IPv6 working with a 2850
Well,

Looks like the solution is to not use the built-on Draytek modem code, but keep the Openreach modem and plug it into the WAN2 of the Draytek 2850 :shock: . Totally defeats the point of having a modem/router in the first place, but it looks like this is the way to do it. :x

Oh dear...

JM

More
20 Dec 2012 14:33 #74585 by babis3g
Sorry ... Did the support say this? because at PDF showing clearly wan 1 which is the build in modem

Moderators: Sami