DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers

• fillem
  • Topic Author
More
10 Feb 2013 20:40 #75133 by fillem
I have a Vigor 2820n which supports 3g modems. Is there any way to get it to work with an android phone that supports USB tethering?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2013 16:36 #75146 by sicon
You might need to check with Draytek on this as I thought it only worked with Dongles

More
11 Feb 2013 16:54 #75149 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers
It can't be done since the drayteks don't have drivers to do that, also it would probably mean adding so many drivers to interface with the phones.
I would personally look at using an access point in station infrastructure mode to connect to a phone's wireless AP mode and connect that AP to the router's WAN2 port.

• fillem
  • Topic Author
More
07 Mar 2013 13:24 #75505 by fillem
Replied by fillem on topic Re: Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers
I had wondered whether there might be an Android app that would allow it to work but since I couldn't find anything I took your advice.

I bought a Vonets VAP11G WiFi Bridge (£15.29 from Amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050AI804/ ). It took 10 minutes to install the software on my PC and get the bridge to talk to my phone's wi-fi hotspot (that's once I realised that for the scan to pick it up you had to connect the ethernet cable to the PC, not just the USB cable :oops: ). I then connected it to the WAN 2 on my 2820n (it takes the power from the router USB port which I'm not otherwise using), configured the router settings and was away.

I can now make better use of the unlimited data with tethering that I get on the One Plan and also have an emergency internet connection if there are issues with my landline. :D

Thanks for your replies.

More
21 Mar 2013 12:28 #75643 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers
Wow, that's great news.

Tried this myself, except that I used a Linksys re1000 in bridge mode.

Unfortunately I can't get it to work.

My set up is

2820ippbx (latest firmware)
Ethernet cable to re1000
Re1000 connecting to my android phone

The re1000 is connecting to my phone - I know this because when I connect to the web interface it confirms the connection. However I have to have it plugged into a lan port to get to it. It also has a static ip address

However when I connect it to the wan2 port I get no connection.....

Any help greatly appreciated.
Iain

Iain

• fillem
  • Topic Author
More
21 Mar 2013 12:46 #75644 by fillem
Replied by fillem on topic Re: Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers
I didn't have to do anything other than set up the bridge and configure the 2820n WAN2 interface. I did test the bridge on my PC once I'd set it up to confirm it gave internet access before I connected it to the router.

Moderators: Sami