DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers

More
21 Mar 2013 13:43 #75646 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers
Hi fillem,

Almost sounds to easy :-)

Can you share your wan2 settings so I can check mine please? If they are the same for £15 I'll go and get myself the same bride as you :-)

Thanks in advance
Iain

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2013 15:58 #75650 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers
I personally used the TP-link WR702n when I've had to do it, it's little, USB powered (so can be run off the router's USB port :)) and works ok in station infrastructure mode.
When I've used it, I set the WAN2 on the router to DHCP (static later once I had it all set up) and had to do this telnet command on the router for it to work:
ip arp accept 1
ip arp accept 3

without running those telnet commands, the WAN would come up I think but no traffic would pass over it.

• fillem
  • Topic Author
More
21 Mar 2013 18:39 #75657 by fillem
Replied by fillem on topic Re: Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers
I've uploaded screenshots of the two areas I configured.

• General Settings:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/a2dd73244738789
Internet Settings: http://www.imagebam.com/image/88cea6244738790

The ping IP in the second one is a Google one. Not sure whether it's needed. You'll also see I've also now switched to only using the phone if the broadband isn't working (Active on demand). I wasn't really aware of an improvement having it running in parallel (my ADSL is generally good) and despite 3 supposedly giving unlimited tethering on the One Plan I was getting a bit concerned how much data was being used.

You'll also see that I've configured WAN2 to obtain the IP address automatically because the VAP11G provides DHCP.

More
21 Mar 2013 19:22 #75658 by haywardi
Ok, I think I'm getting there.

I was missing the dynamic ip assignment setting, d'oh!!!

So now this is the situation.

I can get wan2 up. I can access the internet and my 2820 says it's vpn link is up..... so far so good.

BUT from my pc, I can't access the lan to lan vpn link.

I've noticed a couple of things.

Firstly, the link between the re1000 doesn't stay up for more than about 90 seconds is down for about 5 seconds and then automatically reconnects.

Secondly the ip address of the wan access is 192.168.1.1 the same as my local ip address in the Office. Could this be causing a conflict?

Thoughts?
Iain

Iain

• fillem
  • Topic Author
More
22 Mar 2013 06:51 #75660 by fillem
Replied by fillem on topic Re: Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers
Is this the topology:
PC -> wired ethernet -> 2820 -> WAN2 wired ethernet -> RE1000 -> Wi-fi -> Phone hotspot -> Internet

• Have you configured the keep alive on the 2820?

• Are there any power saving settings on the re1000 / phone that might be disconnecting them from each other?

• Where are you seeing the ip address of the wan access?

More
22 Mar 2013 08:37 #75662 by haywardi
Hi Fillem

Yes the topology is correct.

To answer your questions

1. No ping not activated - to keep alive in this scenario it would require a ping probably every 45 seconds and I think the setting is in minutes.
2. I can't find any power save settings in the RE1000.
3. The wan address is appearing under online status-> wan2. I'm getting an IP address of 192.168.1.104 GW IP 192.168.1.1.

Curiously I'm also getting the primary DNS address as 192.168.1.1. Does this sound correct?

BTW, this morning even though the router says WAN2 is UP, I'm not getting any internet access so will now try adding the Telnet settings.

Iain

Iain

Moderators: Sami