DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers

More
22 Mar 2013 08:57 #75663 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers
A further update.

Just applied the telnet commands and as predicted I now have internet access.

However, I still don't have VPN access and the links still seems to still be intermittent. :-(

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fillem
  • Topic Author
More
23 Mar 2013 14:54 #75677 by fillem
Replied by fillem on topic Re: Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers
That's telling you that your WAN port has been assigned the address 192.168.1.104 and the gateway address (basically, where to send traffic to get out to the internet) is 192.168.1.1. The 192.168.*.* address range is private and doesn't get routed over the internet so it shouldn't be a problem that it's the same as the work DNS address.

I'd enable logging (under System Maintenance; Syslog / Mail Alert) and see if that gives you any pointers as to what the problem(s) may be.

More
26 Mar 2013 15:14 #75691 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers
Hi Fillem,

A further update and I think I'm making progress, but just can't be to sure so a brief update.

One of the things I noticed with this set up is that the when the RE1000 was connected to WAN2, both the traffic green lights would occasionally turn off at the same time as if something was re-setting.

My thought was maybe the RE1000 was re-setting, disconnecting the link and then quickly re-establishing. Therefore perhaps its faulty.

So I went and picked up a TP link wireless router and plugged this in.

The initial results were the same except for the WAN2 lights didn't occasionally go out.....

So I enabled syslog to have a look at what was going one.

I first checked the WAN log and noticed something very interesting. Every two minutes there was a message saying "DSL rebooting ro..."

I'm not sure why it would say this, but if this message is what I am thinking it is, it would go a long way to explaining my problem.

But what does this message really mean? and what would cause it?

Out of curiosity I also plugged the RE1000 back in to see what message that would say. To my surprised VPN appeared and started working, but not for long as the WAN2 lights blinked and then it was gone.

In syslog the message was different it just said WAN2 down and the quickly followed by WAN2 up!

Therefore this is beginning to look to me like there is a problem with the WAN2 Ethernet connection.

But am I barking up the wrong tree? is there another problem? or am I just not knowledgeable enough to properly diagnose the real problem here..

All advise greatly appreciated.

Iain

More
28 Mar 2013 15:12 #75708 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Android Tethering on 3G Capable Routers
the DSL rebooting message is just the WAN1 ADSL rebooting itself occasionally as it can't detect a line

try setting the line speed to 100mb full duplex? I never saw that kind of problem with my 2830 or 2820 routers.

Also posting here because this:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/micronext-mn-wr546b-mini-wi-fi-pocket-router-150mbps-a-travellers-delight

it's so tiny :D

Moderators: Sami