DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2960 Experiences ?

• dgarratt
  • Topic Author
More
28 Apr 2013 12:31 #75957 by dgarratt
Vigor 2960 Experiences ? was created by dgarratt
I am thinking of getting one of these as my ISP can provide a 200mb download speed which my current 2820 cannot take advantage of.

As it seems to be a newish model there does not seem to be a lot of user experience/feedback around. The only snippets of information seem to relate to IP V6 and firewalls. Maybe also something to do with upnp.

I've see a beta firmware on the draytek site but it's password protected so I cannot see if there are any notes with it.

Can anyone let me know if they would recommend this unit ?

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2013 13:08 #75960 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Re: Vigor 2960 Experiences ?
I have the 3900 which is the big brother of the 2960 both use the same new OS that Draytek has introduced with these two models called DrayOS, looks the part even shows CPU and Memory usage...

I bought the 3900 enterprise Router as I wanted speed and reliability over my old 2830Vn, I don't have a huge Network, its a medium sized guest house which i supply a VLAN for guest Wifi free via 4 x AP700 Airstations and through a untangle server.
The main network for business and personal only comprises of about 30 nodes at most ranging from desktops , ipads, laptops, credit card machine , sonos sound system etc

However i find the new router slower to the 2830 even tho i now have 3 ADSL lines into the 3900 , the 3900 has had issues including need to be reboot once a week before dhcp freezes and people report no internet.
I found that other users of 2960 have had the same issues so been trying out beta firmwares until one beta prevent lan1 to work at all so reverted to original release 1.0.6

For the same money i could of bought a ccr1036-12g-4s which i'm looking at getting next , as its a Carrier Grade Router with 15 years production in the OS side and a 36 core 1.2Ghz CPU with the highest speed possible

• dgarratt
  • Topic Author
More
28 Apr 2013 13:16 #75963 by dgarratt
Replied by dgarratt on topic Re: Vigor 2960 Experiences ?
That was what I was afraid of - either having to wait for an unknown period of time before a fully working firmware is made available or using something else completely. I would have preferred to stay with Draytek but they don't have much else to offer in the same speed range.

More
28 Apr 2013 13:56 #75965 by ghostworks
Look into RouterOS , you and trial the software on a desktop as a router and then like into hardware for your needs

• dgarratt
  • Topic Author
More
28 Apr 2013 16:59 #75966 by dgarratt
Replied by dgarratt on topic Re: Vigor 2960 Experiences ?
At the moment I would prefer a "appliance" rather than a PC based solution. I've searched and searched on the internet but yet to find something which meets my requirements.

1) Functionally equivalent to 2820N (VPN, port forwarding, upnp)
2) Stable
3) Well supported
4) Can support 200mb download through wan/firewall

Nice to have would be built in wireless - but not essential.

I've looked at the 2130 but that seems rather restricted with only outbound vpn's

More
28 Apr 2013 18:05 #75967 by ghostworks
True ,

I just mentioned you can download the software only version of routerOS and try out its features etc or try its online demo , there are plenty of hardware options

Moderators: Sami