DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Ap800 Help please.

• cornz
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2013 17:29 #76586 by cornz
Ap800 Help please. was created by cornz
Have a job in the morning, been an utter mare...
All new digital streaming equipment on a hopeless wireless infrastructure.
Now i have to extend the wireless around the house, to that end i have purchased a 2830 and 2 ap800 units to acomplish this.
(i am a long time draytek user)
Just to save me a load of time is there a really quick guide to setting these units up to achieve this.
I havent set anything up like this for a long long time (my last foray into wireless repeaters with some buffalo units was a disaster).
Just want to be able to walk in, set up the ISP details, place these extenders in the house, turn it on and have wireless all over the property.
Any quick help please.....
Seen a few youtube vids, some more help than others, but no clear guide... Do i have to set anything up on the router?
Hope someone can help in the next 14 hours..
Thanks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2013 19:36 #76591 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: Ap800 Help please.
I've only got one of these. I'm guessing you want to use one as a repeater.
So I think you want one set as an AP and the other too a Universal repeater.

• cornz
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2013 20:40 #76594 by cornz
Replied by cornz on topic Re: Ap800 Help please.
Thanks but cables are a no-no. There is no discussion, it **must** be wifi/wireless so do i need them both configuring the same???

More
15 Jun 2013 00:28 #76596 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Ap800 Help please.
Here's a decent guide for configuring them to connect to your 2830 router:
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=2777
Their WLAN security suggestions kinda suck though, you need to use WPA2 with AES encryption and do that for the AP800 wireless security as well, don't use WEP or WPA or TKIP :D

One thing I'll also recommend is set the channel bandwidth to 20mhz, interference can be so annoying when setting up repeater mode so normal channel bandwidth avoids that. That's set from the WLAN - general setup page on the AP800 and from the Wireless LAN - Advanced Setting page on the 2830.
Also change the channel if you find that the APs connect but won't do internet :)

More
15 Jun 2013 07:06 #76597 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: Ap800 Help please.

cornz wrote: Thanks but cables are a no-no. There is no discussion, it **must** be wifi/wireless so do i need them both configuring the same???

Both in repeater mode then..

• cornz
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jun 2013 12:44 #76603 by cornz
Replied by cornz on topic Re: Ap800 Help please.
OK, Getting annoyed now.
Been at this 4 hours, this should be SO easy.
OK, here we go.
Router connected and internet access is all ok. Two SSID's (one for general and one for the PC in a corner that does one job)
All router security is WPA2/PSK. (both identical on both SSID's) as suggested by a user here (sorry, cant see your name at the mo)
AP800 connected to 2830 via cable from router to Port1 (PoE) on AP800.
192.168.1.2 and i can access the AP800.
With the AP800 defaults (2.4g) AP mode, i can go to AP Discovery , hit scan and i see the main router (SKY34399) and the other SSID (SONOS).

Now, if i select UNIVERSAL REPEATER mode from the AP800 main screen, i CANNOT scan for a base station. At the moment i assume this is normal.

So, i now type in the details under WIRELESS LAN/ AP Discovery (cant scan, just sits there for ages).
I am also unable to manually type in the MAC etc as it is ghosted.
So, i select "SELECT AS UNIVERSAL REPEATER" and then access UNIVERSAL REPAETER PARAMETERS.
SSID SKY34339
MAC (blank as its optional)
CHANNEL 11 (matches router)
SECURITY MODE WPA2/PSK
ENCRYPTION AES
PASS [PHRASE (xxxxxxx)
CONNECTION TYPE DHCP
ROUTER NAME AP800
then i hit OK.

Now, i'm pretty sure thats it, and i should now be able to place this AP800 on the edge of the normal wireless signal and it be "extended"
So, i have just done that.
where i am at the moment, i have 4 out of 5 bars on wifi (near the router) so i will now move away from the router and towards the AP800.
i am now quite close to the AP800 but a distance from the router and the signal has dropped massively.
If i unplug / turn off the AP800, then there is NO difference in signal...
HOWEVER i do have 2 new WIFI networks, DRAYTEK LAN A and DRATEK LAN B. Not the SSID of my router....
Help folks, i know this is simple but what am i doing wrong????

Moderators: Sami