DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Ap800 Help please.

More
15 Jun 2013 13:21 #76605 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Ap800 Help please.
i have one AP800 but have not connected yet to help
I think you can try an Internet Explorer if will for the bugs you mentioned
Just a thought ... have you got the latest firmware?
If not get it from here & is good idea to do a master reset if will avoid previous bugs
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/VigorAP%20800/Firmware/v1.1.0/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cornz
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jun 2013 19:47 #76611 by cornz
Replied by cornz on topic Re: Ap800 Help please.
Hi, yes, upgrade the firmware is always the FIRST thing i do, then i have all the equiopment up to date.
I gave up in the end (until next week when i am back there) so i have a week to mess...

• cornz
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jun 2013 19:54 #76612 by cornz

Voodle wrote: Here's a decent guide for configuring them to connect to your 2830 router:
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=2777
Their WLAN security suggestions kinda suck though, you need to use WPA2 with AES encryption and do that for the AP800 wireless security as well, don't use WEP or WPA or TKIP :D

One thing I'll also recommend is set the channel bandwidth to 20mhz, interference can be so annoying when setting up repeater mode so normal channel bandwidth avoids that. That's set from the WLAN - general setup page on the AP800 and from the Wireless LAN - Advanced Setting page on the 2830.
Also change the channel if you find that the APs connect but won't do internet :)

Bizarre, at the site, i could not access that link, now, back home i can..I will try this next week.
Thanks.

• cornz
  • Topic Author
More
15 Jun 2013 21:17 #76613 by cornz
Well, this gets odder...
OK, back at home. 2820vn router AND the other AP800 (unboxed from new minutes ago, NOT updated fw).
So, following the excellent guide posted here by Voodle, i have hit the exact same issue i hit this morning. Namely, at the point (in the afforementioned guide) when it gets to:

Setting Universal Repeater Mode on AP800

1. Please go to Wireless LAN >> Access Point Discovery, and click Scan.

As soon as i hit scan (it ghosts out) and thats it, it does nothing more...Just sits there... Tried IE 64 AND 32 bit. No difference...Cannot get past that point....
So far the ONLY commonality is my win7 x64 laptop.. Ahh, i have a 32 bit notebook here....lemmie try that....

Doesn't make a bit of difference....
WTF is going on here???????
Ok, when i press scan, the button goes to scanning is ghosted and sits there, if, however, i press AP Discovery, the page refreshes and i have the SCAN button back, if i press SCAN, then immediately press AP Discovery, it wont refresh for about 5 seconds, so is TRYING but finding nothing .
If i put the device back into AP mode, then i CAN scan for stations (it only finds my network so its not congested).
Also tried disabling 5g wifi as i dont have it. Once again, no difference...
Im attempting to input the repeater parameters manually...I'm so frustrated and i'm quite techy...How are everyday users supposed to cope, and this is ALL draytek gear!!!!! I must be getting old.......

PS, if i hit AP Discovery on my 2820, it scans no problem. The "issue" seems to be a communication issue between the AP800 and the 28x series (for the moment).

Draytek Support, are you reading this??? Whats happening please????

More
16 Jun 2013 01:20 #76615 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Ap800 Help please.
Can you try with another browser? and see if making same scanning issue

• cornz
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jun 2013 13:41 #76619 by cornz

babis3g wrote: Can you try with another browser? and see if making same scanning issue

Not easily (hmm, i have Firefox in TOR bundle, let me try that in a moment.)
Really though, one of the worlds most popular browsers (and i have tried 2 different computers remember) shouldn't have an issue like this...
Also, the firmware is up to date from out of the box. I must admint, i didnt update the router (2830) firmware but being as i am having the issue on my own 2820vn then i can't believe its that..

I am going to factory reset the device so i can make a fresh start...
Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming........

Moderators: Sami