Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850N rebooting

• samcrawford
  • Topic Author
More
26 Nov 2013 14:18 #78363 by samcrawford
2850N rebooting was created by samcrawford
Hi all,

Whenever one of our part-time staff members visits the office and fires up his Mac, our Vigor 2850N reboots. It's like clockwork... if he's not here for weeks then the router is rock solid, but as soon as he arrives it reboots. We've raised a support ticket, upgraded to v3.6.4, and have followed support's advice to switch on IGMP snooping, but all to no avail.

The Mac appears to be running some Sonos app (which I believe uses broadcast or multicast traffic to find peers), Spotify and Box. I _suspect_ the Sonos traffic is the cause, but it's difficult to pin down as this user is so infrequently in the office.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried searching for "reboot" here, but apparently that term is too common!

I see there's a 3.6.6 firmware posted now, which I will certainly try, but I'm not optimistic as none of the fixed issues really match my description.

Thanks,

Sam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2013 21:01 #78367 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2850N rebooting
Is he sitting down where the router is...maybe he's unplugging the router to use his Mac :-))

Seriously though, if the router is rebooting, there is a telnet command (which I've forgotten this minute)
that may give the support engineers clues, so raise a ticket.... or just tell him he's not welcome :-)

Forum Administrator

More
26 Nov 2013 22:15 #78369 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2850N rebooting
apart the ticket support maybe a quick guide to block ... is via bind ip to mac
http://www.draytek.com/.upload/pdffiles/c0671fe79c540364c1b068d1d87d485b.pdf
Try to get his mac / ip next time the vigor should detect his/her device

• samcrawford
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2013 11:10 #78372 by samcrawford
Replied by samcrawford on topic Re: 2850N rebooting
Thanks both.

Admin - Support haven't suggested any telnet commands. We've tried capturing the output via syslog'ing to a remote server, but nothing is recorded when the reboot occurs. And no, the user in question sits well away from the router!

babis3g - I may end up having to do that, but I'd really rather not. After all, it's not the user's fault, there's clearly a problem with the Draytek here, so I'd like to resolve it properly. This was an expensive router after all (compared to our old Technicolor anyway, which didn't suffer from this problem (but had many others of course...))

Thanks,

Sam

More
27 Nov 2013 12:06 #78373 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2850N rebooting

samcrawford wrote: Thanks both.
babis3g - I may end up having to do that, but I'd really rather not. After all, it's not the user's fault, there's clearly a problem with the Draytek here, so I'd like to resolve it properly. This was an expensive router after all (compared to our old Technicolor anyway, which didn't suffer from this problem (but had many others of course...))
Thanks,
Sam

ah sorry i though possibly was doing something to your network

I guess if you already in touch with the support team, they know better but have you tried the new firmware 3.6.6 ??
is the one you having the problem?
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2850/Firmware/v3.6.6/
If you need to update you may need to use the *RST* to clean everything (so possible previews bugs) and all settings back from the begin

• samcrawford
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2013 12:56 #78374 by samcrawford
Replied by samcrawford on topic Re: 2850N rebooting
Not yet, 3.6.6 is next on my list of things to try. I'm giving support another chance to come up with something, but they take a couple of days to reply to each email frustratingly.

Moderators: Sami