DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

No sign in required for FAQs

More
06 Jul 2014 14:45 #80562 by destroyer
Replied by destroyer on topic Re: No sign in required for FAQs
This is nothing new. Linksys routers you can't even get support for whether you login or not these days!

Try and get support or FAQs on how to setup a Cisco or Juniper (hundreds of £££s more than a Draytek) without paying for a support login!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2014 16:48 #80563 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: No sign in required for FAQs
i think netgear is the same, only used once for support and if i was not register will not help

• reetp
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jul 2014 18:02 #80571 by reetp
Replied by reetp on topic Re: No sign in required for FAQs

Destroyer wrote: This is nothing new. Linksys routers you can't even get support for whether you login or not these days!

Try and get support or FAQs on how to setup a Cisco or Juniper (hundreds of £££s more than a Draytek) without paying for a support login!

Just because they do it does not mean it is right....

Too often as customers we just roll over and throw our hands up when companies abuse our rights and their position.

Ok. If paid for support or obligatory sign up/logins etc were part of your contract, you have a choice before buying.

IMHO as discussed above Draytek have no justifiable reason to change things. (Perhaps they are going down the Cisco route?)

If they do, it should only be done as part of a new contract, not retrospectively. And I am sure they would lose a lot of customers if they knew this before they bought.........

It would have affected my buying if I had known they would implent this. The fact that they were so open encouraged me to purchase. Not any more. Shame.

B. Rgds
John

More
06 Jul 2014 18:10 #80573 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: No sign in required for FAQs
I am not saying to support draytek or the admin because some posts of mine was deleted :o (no complain) as well if you not aware ... but apart registering at UK side ... if there is an issue does not need registration to contact the support team
Other manufacturers you need be register and for technical support so it does not look so bad ... i know you have your opinion is not right but just saying my own ... :)
Any way i believe in the future all companies will do the same soon or later, i know is not right but i am afraid we will be or either we accepting or not use the product ... the reason? i am going to conspiracy theories now :?

More
06 Jul 2014 19:09 #80575 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: No sign in required for FAQs

reetp wrote: Ok. If paid for support or obligatory sign up/logins etc were part of your contract, you have a choice before buying.

this doesn't make sense at all. You have NO contract for support (well, unless you did actually pay for one in addition to your hardware). You do NOT have to register to get support...well, you have to give your details, but otherwise how would they reply... And the manuals are free to download, and the online FAQ that was there when you bought your product is still there! The only thing you can register for is the user forum (this!), any optional mailing lists, and the enhanced new knowledgebase - all of which are entirely understandable/explained.... But you still haven't explained why you'd NOT want to register for those. What possible downsides are you fearing? You have registered for the forum, obviously.

Forum Administrator

More
06 Jul 2014 22:30 #80581 by destroyer
Replied by destroyer on topic Re: No sign in required for FAQs

reetp wrote:

Destroyer wrote: This is nothing new. Linksys routers you can't even get support for whether you login or not these days!

Just because they do it does not mean it is right....

That is true... But I am just grateful firmware is easily downloadable from draytek.co.uk without any faffing about etc.. Registering for FAQs I can live with.

Moderators: Sami