DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

1000mbps LAN Connection

More
20 Mar 2014 09:02 #79412 by mjd70
Replied by mjd70 on topic Re: 1000mbps LAN Connection
I have a DSL connection coming into WAN1 with no connection in WAN2 or WAN3, there is a server connected to LAN2 which is showing full 1gbps connection, but the Airport Extreme which is connected via LAN1 is only showing orange which I assume is 100mbps so am wondering do I need to move that to WAN2 and then select 1gbps full duplex?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2014 10:08 #79414 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 1000mbps LAN Connection
Do not change yet your settings

Orange seems is not 1000M & as mentioned if the right led at the connected Lan if Off then 100% is not connected giga

i would try to change port (lan4 etc) or mainly it could be the cable
There are cat5e (which you already using) but some are networking (straight) and some are cross over ... not sure which one you have but it can make difference

To tell if you have a normal straight through. look at the colour wires at both ends, if do they go to the same pin number or color on the right then you have a straight through cable.
the link below may helps you if you have straight or crossover and purchase one worth to try (&they are cheap if you blame me in the case not works :oops: ) if will make difference
http://superuser.com/questions/244583/how-to-tell-a-ethernet-cable-is-conventional-or-crossover

If not replies from other members i would say to contact the support if they know any trick with lan ports because as mentioned are auto-sensing

More
20 Mar 2014 13:08 #79417 by mjd70
Replied by mjd70 on topic Re: 1000mbps LAN Connection
Thanks I will try that but am pretty confident I have good quality cables in situ.

More
20 Mar 2014 14:06 #79418 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 1000mbps LAN Connection

MJD70 wrote: Thanks I will try that but am pretty confident I have good quality cables in situ.

is not about quality just they do different work, sometimes depending and the router

usual examples
straight-through cable:

Switch – Router
Switch – PC
Switch – Server
Hub – PC
Hub – Server

use a crossover cable:

Switch – Switch
Switch – Hub
Hub – Hub
Router – Router
Router – PC
Router – Server
PC – PC
see what typre of cat 5 you have and get an alternative ... If this not works maybe the support have any trick

Moderators: Sami