Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860Vn-Plus & Windows/DNS

• takeo_ischi
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jul 2014 16:57 #80565 by takeo_ischi
2860Vn-Plus & Windows/DNS was created by takeo_ischi
Hi all,

I've just installed a 2860Vn-Plus which connects to a BT Infinity residential line. My internet connection is absolutely fine, however my Windows 7 PC and my Windows Server box have suddenly set their networks as 'Public', which typically occurs when Windows has a problem with accessing the default gateway/DNS server, and has the effect of increasing the firewall's paranoia. The Windows 7 PC is acquiring an IP through DHCP, whilst the Windows Server has a static IP.

Windows also displays the following error:

The 2860Vn-Plus has its DHCP server turned on, but no DNS server is explicitly set.

I could override the network type, but I'm concerned that I'd be masking the symptom rather than curing the underlying problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2014 17:10 #80567 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2860Vn-Plus & Windows/DNS
I am not sure if i can help but try at windows to change the subnet mask? or dns? network & sharing center > ipv4 properties

In the 2860 make sure you have not enable bind ip to mac, setting wrong statric ip there may get conflict or if you enable strict bind will not give access

If you want to change dns servers you can also do it at Lan>General setup>details page and also untick the disconnect clients periodically if you don't need it

• takeo_ischi
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jul 2014 17:27 #80568 by takeo_ischi
Replied by takeo_ischi on topic Re: 2860Vn-Plus & Windows/DNS

babis3g wrote: I am not sure if i can help but try at windows to change the subnet mask? or dns? network & sharing center > ipv4 properties

Changing them doesn't seem to affect the network 'type' in Windows.

babis3g wrote: In the 2860 make sure you have not enable bind ip to mac, setting wrong statric ip there may get conflict or if you enable strict bind will not give access

Don't have bind IP to mac set.

babis3g wrote: If you want to change dns servers you can also do it at Lan>General setup>details page and also untick the disconnect clients periodically if you don't need it

Changing it to Google's DNS servers stops the error in the screenshot above appearing, but I don't see why I shouldn't be able to leave the DrayTek's DNS server setting blank (I have on plenty of other occasions with no ill-effects) and I'm still worried there's another problem that might cause me further grief down the line.

More
06 Jul 2014 17:49 #80569 by babis3g
i am not sure why, what firmware have you got?
But if fix the problem last suggestion you can add manually or isp dns ones or any other and perhaps again at lan>general setup> there is a small button saying " Force router to use "DNS server IP address" settings specified in " ... if you tick it may help not get this message at windows any longer

There is also a latest beta below link if you have time to try, but if you go for it, i don't know what are the change-log/fixes so may not help for your case ... just pointing out if you are person don't mind testing
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19313&p=80509#p80509

• takeo_ischi
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jul 2014 17:51 #80570 by takeo_ischi
Replied by takeo_ischi on topic Re: 2860Vn-Plus & Windows/DNS
I have 3.7.4.1.

Is that beta firmware safe to use with a 2860Vn-plus?

More
06 Jul 2014 18:04 #80572 by babis3g
I don't have yet a 2860 but a 2760 which is a mini version of the 2860, but should work because i think the firmwares seems the same for dual or single band compare to the 2830n which needs different ... any way as far i know there is only one firmware for the 2860 which covers all versions of 2860
As i am no owner of the 2860 i am not 100% sure so on this wait if any one reply but looking the forums here never seen before any mention of difference

Have you tried the Lan>general set up, to set your own dns & then on exit to tick the "force router" in Lan 1?

Moderators: Sami