Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Routing between 2x2860 Same Site

• padster
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jul 2014 17:10 #80613 by padster
Routing between 2x2860 Same Site was created by padster
Hi,

I'm having a little trouble with a setup, and wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I have two Internet connections at a single site. I am using a 2860 on each. One is for general PC usage, and the other is for provided services. There are two physically separate networks, 192.168.2.x for PC's and 192.168.100.x for services.

To save on bandwidth in and out of the Services Internet connection, I wanted to put in place a route between the 2860's so that the PC's could access the services directly. This would only be to a single IP on the Services network, 192.168.100.1 for example.

Is this something that is possible between the 2860's without having to involve a separate layer3 switch in the mix? Looking at the possible options, this would all be done within Static Routes, but I'm struggling to know exactly where to start.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Pad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2014 21:50 #80616 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Routing between 2x2860 Same Site
Couldn't you just use ONE Vigor 2860 with both Internet feeds connected to it? It would allow you both subnets and both Internet feeds (you'd need a second VDSL modem).

A static route is a simple rule which has two parameters: Where you can get to (the destination network), and how you get there (the gateway).

The complication you have is that you have two subnets on two different routers, so devices on one subnet don't know how to get to the other gateway (router) because it's on on the Internet and not in the local subnet.... But I wonder if you could set up two subnets on each router and make them common, then the routers would (might?) know how to reach the other gateway.

Another confusing thing is that you wrote "There are two physically separate networks" - they're not physically separated, are they? You just mean logically separated subnets... ?

Forum Administrator

• padster
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jul 2014 18:40 #80625 by padster
Replied by padster on topic Re: Routing between 2x2860 Same Site
Hi Admin,

Thank you for your response.

In relation to your first question about using a single 2860, this is not possible as both connections come from FTTP, so there is no vDSL (RJ11) for me to convert. Both connections are Ethernet based. In an ideal world, this should have been set up with a 2925 or similar, that would have allowed both the Ethernet WAN's to be connected to a single device. This might yet end up having to be the solution that I follow, but I wanted to see if this was possible before making the additional purchase.

When I say two physically separate network, they do not share any Internet Gateways, Switches, Cabling, Servers, etc. So at this point, I would have to connect a Network cable to get the routers to even see each other.

Please see diagram of how I see this happening;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvznkml6apt8580/Network%20Diagram.pdf

Cheers
Pad

More
10 Jul 2014 09:28 #80628 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Routing between 2x2860 Same Site
I think this guide:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-vlan-connecting-lan-subnets

along with a policy route rule set up to pass internet traffic through a different gateway should work with your setup? Then you should be able to port forward traffic in as needed and set up policy routes with higher priority than the pass through other gateway rule to put specific services through the correct WAN otherwise.

More
10 Jul 2014 16:44 #80629 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: Routing between 2x2860 Same Site

padster wrote: Hi Admin,

Thank you for your response.

In relation to your first question about using a single 2860, this is not possible as both connections come from FTTP, so there is no vDSL (RJ11) for me to convert. Both connections are Ethernet based. In an ideal world, this should have been set up with a 2925 or similar, that would have allowed both the Ethernet WAN's to be connected to a single device. This might yet end up having to be the solution that I follow, but I wanted to see if this was possible before making the additional purchase.

When I say two physically separate network, they do not share any Internet Gateways, Switches, Cabling, Servers, etc. So at this point, I would have to connect a Network cable to get the routers to even see each other.

Please see diagram of how I see this happening;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvznkml6apt8580/Network%20Diagram.pdf

Cheers
Pad

This is possible - we have many sites with 2 FTTC connections. 1 direct into VDSL/ADSL (RJ11 no BT modem) port and the other WAN2 Ethernet into BT modem using PPPoe

You could route between the two quite easily but one has to have an IP address on the other network and connected to each other (or into switch) so the devices know its route to the opposite network.

You would need to enable VLAN on the router but once done you can separate off a port to be a single interface and ipaddress on the other network

Then you add the routes to each network via the static interface you created.

1 router and VLAN would be a million times easier but what you want to do is achievable

• padster
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jul 2014 20:53 #80631 by padster
Replied by padster on topic Re: Routing between 2x2860 Same Site
Hi Admin,

Thank you again for you reply. To save a whole load of grief trying to get this set up, I've opted to change and get a single Vigor 2925, as I can have the two RJ45 connected to each WAN port, thus getting round the duel Router problem.

I am however having some trouble getting the Inter-vLAN routing to work.

I've done the expected; what is basically details here
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19335&p=80177&hilit=inter+vlan#p80177
With one exception, my data filter rule is currently set to LAN to LAN, ANY ANY ANY, Pass. This is in an attempt to first of get this working.
I have also put in place the routing policies, to allow traffic between the two subnets.

My problem is, I can ping from 192.168.100.x to 192.168.2.x, but I cannot ping 192.168.2.x to 192.168.100.x, so I am only getting uni-directional traffic. Syslog reports that the packet is reaching, and passing the filter rule, but not getting any further.
Is there something glaringly obvious that I am missing in my configurations?

Moderators: Sami