DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Tether a phone or USB 4G Router Vigor2860

• gerry bulger
  • Topic Author
More
27 Aug 2014 03:50 #81093 by gerry bulger
Tether a phone or USB 4G Router Vigor2860 was created by gerry bulger
Dongle compatibility is not complete, nor ever shall be.

It might be simpler to allow the USB port to accept a phone or one of the new 4g handhed router/hubs as a tethered device.

Meanwhile I would like the list of supported USB 4G dongles to include The ZTE 4G Dongle MF 823 (Sold in Australia for Telstra but also in the UK. it is quite a common device now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2014 15:32 #81096 by tobythetenor
Replied by tobythetenor on topic Re: Tether a phone or USB 4G Router Vigor2860
I'd welcome that, too - mainly for test purposes.

More
27 Aug 2014 19:27 #81097 by admin
Few cellphones now support wired USB connectivity - preferring WiFi-to-Cell connectivity. Apple stopped supporting it.
If/When DrayTek release a router with built-in 3G/4G you won't need a dongle, but several of the compatible
USB modems can be bought on ebay for 20+ pounds or so....

Forum Administrator

More
29 Aug 2014 13:18 #81100 by chrisw
So as a work around here is what I did on my 2860n to tether my phone:

1) Enable phone personal WiFi Hotspot
2) Use a WiFi bridge device (Wifi <> LAN) like Vonets VAP11G to connect to 2860n WAN2 Ethernet port. As the VAP11G has a USB power lead then it can also get power from the 2860n.

The VAP11G is particularly cheap (and quite cheerful...) so well suited to this application!

• gerry bulger
  • Topic Author
More
30 Aug 2014 15:37 #81107 by gerry bulger
Replied by gerry bulger on topic Re: Tether a phone or USB 4G Router Vigor2860
I have not come across an android phone that does not support USB tethering yet. My wife's new Sony Xperia still does as does my new Huawei. then there are apps for rooted phones to do it, which I used to have to use before it became standard on phones, and of course it will be a shame it USB tethering is being phased out. I have never used an IPhone.

Meanwhile it would be better and neater if the list of 4G USB sticks was extended. There are so very few 4G devices listed and I really need a ZTE MF823 to work! I do not have my 2860 serial number with me so cannot put a formal request in to Draytek UK.

If Vigor cannot keep up with the number of devices out then perhaps Vigor firmware could have a sub menu/comms window that could allow users to communicate with the USB 4G dongle and try and hack it to work! Then kind some souls post solutions on the forum.

Gerry

More
30 Aug 2014 15:44 #81108 by admin

I really need a ZTE MF823 to work!

Which cell company is supplying that in the UK ?

Forum Administrator

Moderators: Sami