DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Tether a phone or USB 4G Router Vigor2860

• gerry bulger
  • Topic Author
More
30 Aug 2014 16:54 #81109 by gerry bulger
Replied by gerry bulger on topic Re: Tether a phone or USB 4G Router Vigor2860
"I really need a ZTE MF823 to work" I gather Three 3 UK but I am sure others. It is not easy to tell as companies use their own numbering system, so unless you go in and take the cover off you do not know. Most popular version in Australia as it is sold by Telstra. I work in Remote medicine so collect stuff from all over but make sure compatible with UK. It works here, as does my 4G wifi hotspot.

I would also like to the USB 4G Modem/Router Huawei Mobile Wifi E53T2T to work with Vigor2860 These devices come with USB port and connect as if tethered, as well of course as offering a wifi hotsport. It looks as if sold my many companies in the UK. I would be happy with that instead.

I suspect that these free standing (connecting five or more devices) 4G wifi hotspot routers are selling better than single PC use USB dongles.
So Drayteck/Vigor may find it better to find ways to connect these devices, which I assume work on the USB tethering principle, rather than configuring the traditional USB dongles.

The fact that there are 4G wifi routers make me think I should RTFM of the 2860, wondering it if it possible to make a virtual WAN port out of a wifi connection to a different SSID...which would be the 4G wifi hotspot. This would be another option should Draytek/Vigor cannot keep up with all the devices on the market directly connected to the USB port. Not tidy as I prefer wired connections where possible.

Gerry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2014 18:37 #81111 by takeo_ischi
Replied by takeo_ischi on topic Re: Tether a phone or USB 4G Router Vigor2860

Gerry Bulger wrote: I suspect that these free standing (connecting five or more devices) 4G wifi hotspot routers are selling better than single PC use USB dongles.
So Drayteck/Vigor may find it better to find ways to connect these devices, which I assume work on the USB tethering principle, rather than configuring the traditional USB dongles.

I think the problem is that the standalone 3g/4g routers doesn't implement USB tethering; most consumers will want to connect a phone (which typically only has WiFi), a tablet (ditto) or a laptop (any bought since 2008 will have WiFi). The manufacturers don't want to spend time/money creating something that most people won't use. My TP-Link mobile router for example only uses the USB port for charging. There's nothing that DrayTek can do about that, really. They could only either 1.) sell USB modems themselves 2.) build a modem into the DrayTek routers which would bump up the cost.

Gerry Bulger wrote: The fact that there are 4G wifi routers make me think I should RTFM of the 2860, wondering it if it possible to make a virtual WAN port out of a wifi connection to a different SSID...which would be the 4G wifi hotspot. This would be another option should Draytek/Vigor cannot keep up with all the devices on the market directly connected to the USB port. Not tidy as I prefer wired connections where possible.

I don't think you can, but that is a good idea. There might, however, be a reduction in wireless performance if you're using the WiFi as a client as well as as a hotspot. In the meantime, you can use those micro-routers which connect to a WiFi network as a client and allow you to connect a device via Ethernet.

More
31 Aug 2014 01:46 #81113 by admin
You can put the router's wifi into bridge/WDS mode...not sure that comes in on the WAN side though.

Forum Administrator

Moderators: Sami