DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Any way to increase WiFi signal from Vigor 2850vn?

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
02 Sep 2014 10:53 #81138 by allat39

babis3g wrote: you can try turn the antennas at V shape as you call it or with other words turn them down to 45 degree the left and right (if you have middle one leave it vertical), in some cases works

I get you.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
02 Sep 2014 11:01 #81139 by allat39

Takeo_Ischi wrote:

babis3g wrote: @ Takeo_Ischi
thanks for the info
also i think homeplugs needs ethernet cable? because the OP don't want to use cables

I think he means he can't have cables put inside the walls or running around the house. A lot of computers don't move much, and you have to plug them into power anyway, so you could also plug them into HomePlugs.

allat39 wrote:

Takeo_Ischi wrote:
allat39: One thing worth considering is the positioning of the antennae. My wireless signal was poor, until I angled the antennae in the correct position for my house. Now it's acceptable (though still not great). Also, consider using HomePlugs, which transmit Ethernet data across the power cables in your house. They're not as good as real Ethernet, but they're slightly better than WiFi.

Thanks Takeo,

Is your thinking that the antennae should look like a V shape vertically upwards? (and if a central antennae then that should be straight up?)

It depends on what you need. Remember that the antenna gives 360 of horizontal coverage, and only a bit of vertical coverage.

So if e.g. you want to provide internet for a small floor above you, I would recommend laying the antenna flat. If you want to provide it for your floor mainly, I would recommend bending the antennae at 90 degrees. If you want to cover the whole house, you might want to put the router at one end of your house, and angle the antennae at 45 degrees.

Thanks Takeo_Ischi

I appreciate the clarification of antenna.

I think too I will research Homeplugs, but I am 'coming back' to an Ethernet solution - unless I have no other option. Ethernet certainly does have fewer problems!

By the way, I didn't have the time to learn how to upload a photo of the AP800 antennae to this thread, and your explanation is very clear and I understand.

More
02 Sep 2014 13:04 #81140 by babis3g
that is how i got the antennas at mine (about 45 degree) covering a garden & is working very good, no wires connected apart the PSU one

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
02 Sep 2014 22:10 #81142 by allat39

babis3g wrote: that is how i got the antennas at mine (about 45 degree) covering a garden & is working very good, no wires connected apart the PSU one
.. u r l=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/babis3g/media/AP800_zps903822db.jpg.html][img]h%20t%20t%20p%20:%20//%20i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q631/babis3g/AP800_zps903822db.jpg[/img] .../ u rl ]

Gottcha.

By the way, do I have to use a site like 'your' photobucket.com in order to post photos up here?

More
03 Sep 2014 09:30 #81143 by babis3g
well is more easy for me because sometimes i change pc & modems (to have them in the usb ) & very rear place so on line is good option

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
03 Sep 2014 10:30 #81144 by allat39

babis3g wrote: well is more easy for me because sometimes i change pc & modems (to have them in the usb ) & very rear place so on line is good option

I get you.

I'm off now. Thank you for your assistance, it was really useful. There's nothing better than someone who 'does it' and has good up to date experience. Sometimes manuals are confusing...

Much appreciated.

Moderators: Sami