DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Any way to increase WiFi signal from Vigor 2850vn?

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
01 Sep 2014 22:37 #81131 by allat39

Takeo_Ischi wrote: babis3g: The N65 is a USB WiFi adapter from DrayTek that you can plug into an AP800 to give it dual-band wireless. In my experience, however, my 2860Vn-plus 2.4GHz signal goes further than the 5GHz signal.

allat39: One thing worth considering is the positioning of the antennae. My wireless signal was poor, until I angled the antennae in the correct position for my house. Now it's acceptable (though still not great). Also, consider using HomePlugs, which transmit Ethernet data across the power cables in your house. They're not as good as real Ethernet, but they're slightly better than WiFi.

Thanks Takeo,

Is your thinking that the antennae should look like a V shape vertically upwards? (and if a central antennae then that should be straight up?)

Homeplugs sound a good option.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2014 22:42 #81132 by babis3g
@ Takeo_Ischi
thanks for the info
also i think homeplugs needs ethernet cable? because the OP don't want to use cables

@ allat39
i confirm using universal repeater it works with out ethernet because that is how i have set mine (not with ethernet)
it could work & with AP mode but have not tested

Also note with wifi ... if the ap800 is really far and picks only a bar wifi signal or 10-30% signal from the 2850 of course don't expect really great speeds, this apply with any brand ap not just the draytek
I have mine picking only was varying from 10-25% signal because was far & most of the times in heavy use the youtube was buffering & also webpages was slow loading
changed to ethernet & speed was same as my 2830 (no drops)

what i can not confirm if strict bind will work with the ap800,
having disable the dhcp at the ap800 whatever unit/device will lock in there (even if is a new device) it will appear at the 2850 bind ip to mac so you can control it, but i never test strict bind if will work when is locked to the wifi of the ap800, i think it should do because with dhcp off at the ap800, is still taking orders from the 2850 but i am not sure 100%

you can also look at the homeplugs but never used one for more help

More
01 Sep 2014 22:48 #81133 by babis3g
you can try turn the antennas at V shape as you call it or with other words turn them down to 45 degree the left and right (if you have middle one leave it vertical), in some cases works

More
02 Sep 2014 08:42 #81134 by takeo_ischi

babis3g wrote: @ Takeo_Ischi
thanks for the info
also i think homeplugs needs ethernet cable? because the OP don't want to use cables

I think he means he can't have cables put inside the walls or running around the house. A lot of computers don't move much, and you have to plug them into power anyway, so you could also plug them into HomePlugs.

allat39 wrote:

Takeo_Ischi wrote:
allat39: One thing worth considering is the positioning of the antennae. My wireless signal was poor, until I angled the antennae in the correct position for my house. Now it's acceptable (though still not great). Also, consider using HomePlugs, which transmit Ethernet data across the power cables in your house. They're not as good as real Ethernet, but they're slightly better than WiFi.

Thanks Takeo,

Is your thinking that the antennae should look like a V shape vertically upwards? (and if a central antennae then that should be straight up?)

It depends on what you need. Remember that the antenna gives 360 of horizontal coverage, and only a bit of vertical coverage.

So if e.g. you want to provide internet for a small floor above you, I would recommend laying the antenna flat. If you want to provide it for your floor mainly, I would recommend bending the antennae at 90 degrees. If you want to cover the whole house, you might want to put the router at one end of your house, and angle the antennae at 45 degrees.

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
02 Sep 2014 10:44 #81136 by allat39

thanks for the info
@ allat39
i confirm using universal repeater it works with out ethernet because that is how i have set mine (not with ethernet)
it could ....
.. you can also look at the homeplugs but never used one for more help

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
02 Sep 2014 10:51 #81137 by allat39

thanks for the info

@ allat39
it could work & with AP mode but have not tested

Also note with wifi ... if the ap800 is really far and picks only a bar wifi signal or 10-30% signal from the 2850 of course don't expect really great speeds, this apply with any brand ap not just the draytek
I have mine picking only was varying from 10-25% signal because was far & most of the times in heavy use the youtube was buffering & also webpages was slow loading
changed to ethernet & speed was same as my 2830 (no drops)

what i can not confirm if strict bind will work with the ap800,
having disable the dhcp at the ap800 whatever unit/device will lock in there (even if is a new device) it will appear at the 2850 bind ip to mac so you can control it, but i never test strict bind if will work when is locked to the wifi of the ap800, i think it should do because with dhcp off at the ap800, is still taking orders from the 2850 but i am not sure 100%

you can also look at the homeplugs but never used one for more help

Thank you babis3g for the confirmation, and information about speeds.
I have some projects to finish then I will turn my attention to resolving this household issue.

What you have done is to again highlight the obvious advantage of Ethernet in my mind , and I will munch over whether even running a temporary W-ifi link will cause more problems and issues for the users than simply waiting for an Ethernet solution.

Thanks

Moderators: Sami