DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820N Slow internet speeds. HELP PLEASE

• jacques
  • Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2014 01:41 #81463 by jacques
Hello,

I am currently having issues having full internet speed. I am getting only about 0.51Mbps instead of the +2Mbps the router says it is getting. I live in the countryside so internet out here is terrible and I live very far away from the exchange so I am not expecting anything big here but my 5 year old Netgear router was quicker than this lovely Draytek router. I will post the stat data that might be needed.

Link Status : Connected
Connection : PPPoE

Load Balancing is OFF
Qos is OFF
Load Balancing Policy - No policy set and nothing enabled

TX Packets RX Packets
54424 50212
Line: ADSL

ADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
G.DMT SHOWTIME 608000 608000 7 74

I think that is pretty much all the data needed. I have read on forums that this could be due to a firewall issue on the router. I tried all I could and I haven't been able to find any problems within the firewall that would be doing anything like slowing my internet down.

I have also just updated the firmware to .3.7.5_211801 which is recommended for users that have a connection speed under 4Mbps which would be me. I have tried other firmware updates and everything else was the same. I have tried resetting the router and nothing. I have also tried switching back to an old Netgear router and the network is running quick so I know this is a router problem.

It would be greatly appreciated for some response because this is coursing me big problems with such a limited connection.

Many Many Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2014 07:53 #81464 by takeo_ischi
Replied by takeo_ischi on topic Re: Vigor 2820N Slow internet speeds. HELP PLEASE
Babis3g usually knows more about these things, but you might need to change the ADSL modem code.

Make sure all the settings in "Internet Access" under WAN are correct. Also make sure you don't have anything going on under "Bandwidth Management".

More
22 Oct 2014 12:49 #81465 by babis3g
Hi thanks

First about the update with the 2820n
The correct order ( unless you did update already from earlier firmware 3.3.5) is to use first 3.3.5.2 & then update to latest 3.3.7.5
This is because latest firmware seems has slightly different UI

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not upgrade directly from 3.3.5 (and earlier) to 3.3.7.5.
Due to differences in the Web UI and functionality the router MUST first be
upgraded to 3.3.5.2 prior to upgrading to 3.3.7.5.

Upgrade your router to Version 3.3.5.2 first, and afterward upgrade the router
to Version 3.3.7.5.

This may not help for your connection but for working in good order your router & may help not get conflicts so give a go again with that order (if you didn't)

About the issue

you are very far from the exchange ... i see attenuator 74, that is about 5 km far
The firewall may had effect if you was extending speeds over 50 mbps
What is your isp?

I would say (as mentioned) to load the alternative modem code 2471201 from UK download page, this far the best for any line & may give higher rates
Then at wan>internet access set modulation with G.DMT & MTU the correct one from the isp (TT had 1432) BT i think use 1500 or 1492

If not the desired result comes
-Make sure the phone line cable use the shortest possible (from phone socket to the modem) if you can, do not extend more than 1.5 - 2 meters long
-Try another filter ... this has good reputation but note you need to leave it 3-5 days on (in some cases to have effect) and do a reboot there after if will synchronize better
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/1652-adsl-nation-xf-1e/
-Take away the modem from any electric source (other devices) than can cause electromagnetic interface

Alternative you can change the modulation to ADSL2(g.992.3) & change the mtu to 1458 or 1430

• jacques
  • Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2014 13:01 #81466 by jacques
Hello,
ISP IS AOL :roll: :roll:
Thank you for your replies. I have tried everything suggested and still no reply. I have tried a new filter and that didn't change anything. (We don't have any kind of computer line management on the phone line) I even phoned up Draytek earlier and the man on the phone said I have done everything he could think of doing. What annoys me is that I can plug my 5 year old Netgear router in and it still works like a dream, but I really want to use the Draytek. I have even gone and bricked the Draytek this morning to try and crash the firmware and then re installed it but that had no effect either. I just wonder how long the warranty is on it because it might be hardware related????

Thanks to all who replied. Any more tips then please let me know.

More
22 Oct 2014 13:48 #81467 by babis3g
sorry if you do a speed test what are you getting? what is the issue just the speed? or facing disconnections?
Try the following settings (should synchronize)
Protocol PPPoA, vc mux, mtu 1462 (or 1432) , adsl2(g 992.3) or adsl2+ vpi/vci 0,38 pap/chap/auto... modem code 2471201 (just try with the all file) & do a speed test with ETHERNET cable
http://www.speedtest.net/
AOL is under TT now i think so try the above settings as well

can you also telnet & write this command
show adsl ... or adsl show ... should see this one (from my 2830 right now)

> show adsl

ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A)

Running Mode : ADSL2+(G.992.5) State : SHOWTI
ME
DS Actual Rate : 4096000 bps US Actual Rate : 1023937 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 15384000 bps US Attainable Rate : 1215000 bps
DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast
DS Interleave Depth : 1 US Interleave Depth : 1
NE Current Attenuation : 37 dB Cur SNR Margin : 25 dB
DS actual PSD : 17. 1 dB US actual PSD : 11. 8 dB
ADSL Firmware Version : 243701_A

ATU-C Info

Far Current Attenuation : 19 dB Far SNR Margin : 11 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : 00004244 CO ITU Version[1] : 0000434d
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < BDCM >

• jacques
  • Topic Author
More
23 Oct 2014 23:25 #81492 by jacques
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I have been away for a day so I haven't been able to look but I am back now. I am getting a VERY stable 600kbps UP and about 500Kbps DOWN from speed test.

This is the telnet data I pulled from the 2820n

show adsl

ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A)

Running Mode : G.DMT State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 640000 bps US Actual Rate : 640000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 704000 bps US Attainable Rate : 736000 bps
DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave
DS Interleave Depth : 8 US Interleave Depth : 2
NE Current Attenuation : 75 dB Cur SNR Margin : 7 dB
DS actual PSD : 15. 5 dB US actual PSD : 12. 5 dB
ADSL Firmware Version : 211801_A

ATU-C Info

Far Current Attenuation : 31 dB Far SNR Margin : 7 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : 00004753 CO ITU Version[1] : 0000504e
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < CNXT >

Moderators: Sami