Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860N VDSL Speed Issues

• fcs-simon
  • Topic Author
More
29 Oct 2014 14:56 #81544 by fcs-simon
2860N VDSL Speed Issues was created by fcs-simon
Good afternoon
I hope somebody in here can help as so far Draytek support do not have an answer...
I have recently installed 2 x 2860n vdsl routers and when connected direct to the line the sync speeds show UP: 20 Mbps and DOWN: 78 Mbps, however when I run a speed test the UP= 18 Mbps (Good!) but DOWN = 10 Mbps (Slower than UP and very bad!)
When setting up the WAN port to connect through the OpenReach modem the speeds on the speed test are massively different (UP 18 - DOWN 68) so it appears that VDSL speeds through the 2860n when connecting direct to the phone line are restricted!!
I have the latest firmware, have changed MTU settings and have even factory reset the routers and setup again as per Drayteks instructions.
Can anyone out there end this misery??
Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2014 17:08 #81547 by chrisw
Replied by chrisw on topic Re: 2860N VDSL Speed Issues
Whose speed test are you using? I have noticed the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test often shows significantly less than say speedtest.net.

Even speedtest.net is quite variable: if I pick the right server location I will see 75x18Mb/s, others can show only a fraction of this.

Chris

• fcs-simon
  • Topic Author
More
29 Oct 2014 17:14 #81548 by fcs-simon
Replied by fcs-simon on topic Re: 2860N VDSL Speed Issues
Hi Chris
Thanks for the reply.
I've looked at speedtest.net, internet-speedtest.net and BT wholesale. All 3 show DOWN = 10 and UP = 17
Thanks

More
29 Oct 2014 17:16 #81549 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2860N VDSL Speed Issues
i have some suggestions here
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19713

More
29 Oct 2014 18:46 #81550 by marjohn56
Replied by marjohn56 on topic Re: 2860N VDSL Speed Issues
Hate to say it but there are some issues with the current VDSL firmware. I am now so fed up with it I have removed the Draytek completely and have gone back to the OR modem and Sagem sky router in DMZ mode and onto my trusty old Asus. It works, it's fast and most of all it's stable. Something I sadly cannot say for the 2860, at least not my 2860.

Once upon a time you could trust that a Vigor router would never let you down, no longer is that the case I'm afraid.

Mine will be heading to the great auction site unless there's a reliable fix to the firmware that comes out soon.

• fcs-simon
  • Topic Author
More
30 Oct 2014 09:32 #81558 by fcs-simon
Replied by fcs-simon on topic Re: 2860N VDSL Speed Issues
Good morning all!
Positive news this morning. I have just ran another speedtest and am now getting...

DOWN = 61MB
UP = 18MB

Happy days!! I wasn't aware, but is this simply a case of testing the line??
Cheers

Moderators: Sami