DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860n+ and 2xAP900 or 2860 and 3xAP900

• eskdale
  • Topic Author
More
15 Nov 2014 02:09 #81789 by eskdale
I've just purchased a 2860n+ and 2xAP900 to update the system in my home office. I want to use the managed WiFi and have fast handover.

Having read everything on the draytek site that I can find - I can't find anything that really mentions including the built in wireless as part of the managed wifi. All examples are for a 2860 without builtin wifi and add on AP900's.

Is this because you can't use the 2860n+ wifi as part of a managed system? Seems rather stupid if you can't and it certainly isn't clear on any of the literature - may be you can.

Can anyone help on this - Thanks Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2014 20:00 #81798 by amadeus
Replied by amadeus on topic Re: 2860n+ and 2xAP900 or 2860 and 3xAP900
When I spoke to a supplier (broadbandbuyer.co.uk) I was told that the built in wireless could not be used.

• eskdale
  • Topic Author
More
15 Nov 2014 20:29 #81799 by eskdale
Replied by eskdale on topic Re: 2860n+ and 2xAP900 or 2860 and 3xAP900
Thanks - that is who I purchased mine from - Guess its phone call time on Monday
It does seem stupid - none of the documentation that I can find makes it clear - it says the managed mode can be used with the 2860 series so I never dreamt that it wouldn't, but then started doubting it when I was about to install it and all the documents I could find on the configuration only mentioned the non wifi 2860. More hassle!!

Jon

• eskdale
  • Topic Author
More
17 Nov 2014 17:12 #81830 by eskdale
Replied by eskdale on topic Re: 2860n+ and 2xAP900 or 2860 and 3xAP900
Now I'm confused - Spoke to Broadbandbuyer my supplier of the 2860n+ to clarify the situation and as Amadeus said, they said the internal WiFi couldn't be used with the Managed Wifi. So I placed an order with them for the 2860 and a third AP900. And wanted to return the 2860n+ (which is still unopened) so then had to fill in the form on the Web. The question then arises as to who organises the return and pays the return carriage. Just trying to get it all sorted without the hassle I said just collect it and bill me the carriage but they couldn't / wouldn't do that (They will only collect if it is their fault otherwise you have to organise a carrier yourself). They had to contact Draytek to confirm whether this was their mistake or my mistake. Draytek's reply was that it works. So does it or doesn't it ?

As I already had the replacement on the way I will go with the 2860 and 3 off AP900's as I know that should work, but just out of interest and for other future users would be interested in the definitive answer on this.

Jon

More
29 Nov 2014 13:17 #81978 by amadeus
Replied by amadeus on topic Re: 2860n+ and 2xAP900 or 2860 and 3xAP900
Hi,

Did you get any further on answering this?
I've just got a 2860 + 2 AP900s and have discovered that when setting up the AP's, they can be APs (wired) but also bridges and repeaters. TBH, I'm not entirely sure about the difference between each option but it's different to what I believe I was told.

thanks

More
29 Nov 2014 14:54 #81979 by marjohn56
Replied by marjohn56 on topic Re: 2860n+ and 2xAP900 or 2860 and 3xAP900
Here you go.

1. Access point is what devices like ipads laptops etc connect to, the access point is then wired back to the router.
2. Bridge is where one AP900 ( or equiv ) talks only to another AP900 ( or equiv ), one end could go to the router whilst the other goes to a a switch feeding a bunch of PC's or a device that only has an ethernet port. It effectively becomes a wifi receiver, like a wifi dongle. In the case of the AP900, you don't need a switch as you have four ports you could connect 4 devices to.
3. Repeater mode, the AP900 receives a signal via wifi from another point, usually but not always tthat is the router and re-broadcasts it, no hard wiring at all.

Moderators: Sami