DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860n+ and 2xAP900 or 2860 and 3xAP900

• eskdale
  • Topic Author
More
02 Dec 2014 09:53 #81998 by eskdale
Replied by eskdale on topic Re: 2860n+ and 2xAP900 or 2860 and 3xAP900
My iPhone 4s supports it as does my iPad 3 and my HTC One (M7) - I haven't tried any older devices, but my IP security camera doesn't - nor do my streaming music devices and internet radio boxes. There are so many things that connect via WiFi these days and the don't all support 802.1x so you need both.
My newer SIP phone does but the old one doesn't

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2014 10:06 #81999 by amadeus
Replied by amadeus on topic Re: 2860n+ and 2xAP900 or 2860 and 3xAP900
ok, thanks. Will see how I get on.
I think my Sonos devices will be most likely to be problematic but we shall see.
Will report back once I've got something to report! :-)

Thanks Jon

rgds

More
04 Dec 2014 11:05 #82014 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2860n+ and 2xAP900 or 2860 and 3xAP900

eskdale wrote: none of the documentation that I can find makes it clear - it says the managed mode can be used with the 2860 series

Well, I don't think it does say that; it says that the router can manage APs (AP800/AP900), and to be clear, you CANNOT manage models not listed, or internal (router) wireless (but it can operate alongside).

eskdale wrote: The question then arises as to who organises the return and pays the return carriage.

Well, you would, I'd guess, as you'd misunderstood, unless the seller was feeling generous, but to be honest, I'd
have kept the wireless one as it might be useful later (or supported for management later perhaps).

Forum Administrator

• eskdale
  • Topic Author
More
04 Dec 2014 17:33 #82027 by eskdale
Replied by eskdale on topic Re: 2860n+ and 2xAP900 or 2860 and 3xAP900
OK - Having got a router now and played with it - it is possible to understand what it does and doesn't do

Admin Wrote

Well, I don't think it does say that;

Taken from the Draytek web page

The central component, the management interface of the DrayTek wireless management system, is built into our Vigor 2860 and 2925 series routers.

To me it would make sense that the built in wireless was also managed but I understand now that it is not part of managed WiFi. But it is certainly far from clear to a new buyer that it is not - I assumed initially that it was in the way that if you buy a 4 door car you assume that all 4 doors open.

Don't get me wrong I like the Draytek routers and this is an upgrade of a Draytek system and I have also specified them for work and I would recommend them to any person wanting a serious installation. I swapped the 2860n+ for a 2860 and another AP900 - OK it cost me more -so the AP900 is sat next to the router. Broadband buyer were good enough to collect the original - (it was unopened) as I realised the possible issue when I was planning the detail of the installation. I did also purchase a couple of gigabit managed switches with Power over Ethernet as well so they didn't loose out on cost really, especially as I have used them in the past and with the right service/support will continue to use and recommend them.

Last word though - for a new user I don't think it is clear that the internal WiFi can't be part of the managed WiFi as it stands (May be there will be a firmware update)

Jon

Moderators: Sami