DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues

More
11 Jul 2020 15:23 #13 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
Well the issues of no internet came back so this time I changed the dns from google to Cloudflare left googles dns as the test for whether the network was up or not via the ping test. Changed the dhcp renewal from a day to three days. There were some funnies where some machines held onto the old dns entries despite releasing and flushing the dns cache. No idea where they were getting the old dns servers from. Anyway 24 hours later every machine had the correct dns. A stable network for six days, which is a record until the virgin engineer swapped the hub out. Then machines on the virgin network could only load some web sites while the ones on BT which never went down worked perfectly. A reboot of the router was the only cure which fixed everything bar my web server which needed a reboot.

So the older firmware is more stable but still some interesting dns bugs which appear at times. Waiting for the next release which may improve things.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2020 07:55 #14 by quantum explorer
Replied by quantum explorer on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
Just a quick note to say thank you to the contributors regarding 3910 firmware.

I was about to strip out four 3900s and update them to 3910s and order today, but I think I will hit pause for a while.

I feel your pain. The 2952s were just the same when they arrived - 'expensive door stops'. I quickly replaced them with 3900s, which are rock steady performers. Sure, there are still one or two quirks even on the 3900s, but they are reliable. The 3900s can handle the 1Gbps throughput at the moment, it was more a future proofing exercise, but I just cannot take this again in production.

Ironically, the 2952s have matured into rock steady performers now, after many firmware iterations.

The bit that really gets to me, is the support. Raise a ticket, wait a few days, 'have you got the latest firmware', wait a few days, we are not seeing this', wait a few days, 'revert firmware' - can't there is a CVE addressed in current!, wait a few days, repeat, repeat, repeat.........a month later, 'yup it is a problem, but there is an RC, if you want to try a beta'...... This is production, not beta.

I love Draytek products, and as others have said, they make amazing products for the price-point, but I really wish they had faster, or even paid support.

Hey-ho, well that's £3K saved for the moment for one company - running at capacity - not perfect but reliable.

Once again, thank you contributors, my sanity has only just returned after the 2952 and occasional 3900 support 'roundabouts'.

Your valiant efforts, are, I am sure, being appreciated by the community as a whole, and any updates would of course be appreciated.

More
16 Jul 2020 08:03 #15 by qwaz01
Replied by qwaz01 on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues

The bit that really gets to me, is the support. Raise a ticket, wait a few days, 'have you got the latest firmware', wait a few days, we are not seeing this', wait a few days, 'revert firmware' - can't there is a CVE addressed in current!, wait a few days, repeat, repeat, repeat.........a month later, 'yup it is a problem, but there is an RC, if you want to try a beta'...... This is production, not beta.

This is pretty much our experience at the moment. I accept its probably been made worse by Covid but we often go days without a response from support and when we chase we get asked a really stupid question.

More
16 Jul 2020 08:14 #16 by the pit
Or when you say other people are having the same issue they tell your firmware is corrupt. Errrmm don't think so somehow.

Or when once when iptv 4k stopped working they sent my own instructions on how to get it too work even when it is clear that these instructions no longer applied. This was on a 2960. Basically something had changed at BT end and poor old dryatek was getting a bit swamped and blocking the connection with a hidden firewall rule which couldn't be turned off. A later firmware fixed the issue.

More
17 Jul 2020 20:46 #17 by the pit
Glitch back again today.
Local network fine but no internet access however some pages seemed to load and it turned out the sites that didn't were ipv4 however it's possible those were cached so next time it happens I'll try and navigate round the sites. If they work then it's an issue with ipv4 only.

More
18 Jul 2020 10:30 #18 by netjet1980
Replied by netjet1980 on topic Re: WARNING - Vigor 3910 firmware issues
Thanks for pointing these issues out. I am about to pull the trigger on a 3910 and now obviously VERY concerned.

I am currently running a 2862 for a VDSL2 + 4G connection (changing to VDSL2 + G.Fast next week). It runs a lan2lan VPN to my business (2862 on the other end). We will get an additional g.fast line in next week, which I am planning to run via WAN2 for the moment while the VDSL stays on WAN1. This will hopefully work and the router can cope with the traffic. Next step is to upgrade our VDSL to g.fast as well, so run 2x g.fast and 1x 4G in load balancing, which then would need a 3910.

Lost internet traffic, reboots and lost configurations are a total no-no. If I spend £550 + VAT, this has to work without interruptions. There are not too many devices on it. Just a couple of small backup servers, some CCTV traffic (both going via VPN to our business) and the normal usage of a 2-person household. We are currently using quite a few QoS and load balancing routing rules to split the traffic over our two WAN lines. The routing and QoS rules are vital. Very little in actual security related firewall rules, mostly pure routing. So overall the pressure on the hardware itself should be miniscule compared to the theoretical capabilities of the 3910.

How likely am I to regret buying a 3910 now? I have been working with Draytek now for a 2-3 years and finally feel quite comfortable with their configuration and menus (running 2x 2862ac, three of their WiFi APs, 2x G1085, 2x P2121, 1x P2280x and one of their old 24 port POE switches from donkey's years ago, so basically except for two 10gig/Multigig routers my whole infrastructure runs on Draytek) and would hate to go with a different solution (pfsense, Unifi etc.).

Moderators: ChrisSami