DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Caller ID on PSTN / POTS calls

More
04 Dec 2008 10:34 #13 by wprice99
Replied by wprice99 on topic PSTN Caller Id
I'd like this to be available too... I work at home a lot, and we have VOIP for the company phones. Ideally, I need the home phone to work as normal with our home phone... but be able to receive VOIP calls and make occasional VOIP calls too.

After setting up the VOIP on the 2820Vn, I've lost the caller id for the PSTN line now, which is not very good.

I'll add my voice to the request for PSTN/POTS caller id to be fixed for the 2820Vn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2008 13:13 #14 by sim
Replied by sim on topic Caller ID on PSTN / POTS calls
I have a 2820Vn with two phones plugged in (1 DECT phone and 1 Wired phone) both phones show the caller ID from VoIP or the normal telephone service. Also by putting #0 in front of a telephone number to dial out using BT (no pause after #0) also works perfectly.

More
04 Dec 2008 17:41 #15 by wprice99
Replied by wprice99 on topic Caller ID on PSTN / POTS calls
I have setup the dial rules so that dialing normally will go out via the PSTN line, and prefixing with ** dials via VOIP (needed to keep it simple for SWMBO). But no sign of caller id here from PSTN or VOIP.

That's with an oldish (probably over 8 years old) DECT phone connected to the router, and 3.3.0 firmware. Also trying now with 3.3.2RC1/beta and a full factory reset and reconfiguration, but still no joy.

More
25 Oct 2010 18:48 #16 by stevehayes
Replied by stevehayes on topic Caller ID on PSTN / POTS calls

admin wrote: This has been discussed before. It can't be done because in the idle state, the phone is 'switched' to the VoIP circuit, not POTS and BT send caller ID BEFORE the phone rings. You can put a caller ID unit next to your phone but plugged into the POTS line directly (on a double socket).

I have in the past designed similar telephone equipment so I hope I know what I'm talking about...

It should be possible to provide an option on the 2820Vn that selects a mode where the relays connect the phones to the PSTN line in the idle state (so that BT caller display will work) and only connect the phones to the VOIP circuits when either there is an incoming VOIP call or when the phone goes off hook without ringing being seen first on the PSTN line.

This mode should only be used in limited circumstances (there shouldn't be any problem with caller ID in most countries where it is sent after the first ring). When it's enabled, caller ID on VOIP calls may need to be delayed slightly, PSTN line polarity may be critical and the PSTN line will have to be connected to allow VOIP calls to be placed.

The option could be settable separately for the two FXS ports with an alternative setting that prevents the phone ringing at all on PSTN calls (this would be useful in some other circumstances but seems to currently be missing).

Moderators: ChrisSami