DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Caller ID on PSTN / POTS calls

More
13 Nov 2008 02:54 #7 by bugmenot2
Replied by bugmenot2 on topic bah...
God DrayTeks VOIP implementation is awful.

I can’t believe that the routers do not support DECT phones for PSTN dial out. It's also crappy that they do not show the caller id of PSTN calls.

I had a SpeedTouch 780wl modem with VOIP and it had no problems with PSTN using DECT and it also displayed caller ID without any problems.

If I knew the VOIP implementation was this crappy I would have never got the VN version to be honest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2008 11:56 #8 by michal.strelec
Replied by michal.strelec on topic Caller ID on PSTN / POTS calls
You are right that PSTN switching issue makes this device completely unusable for some use cases (like monitoring and screening of the calls) because caller id is not forwarded.

On a positive note. I have a DECT phone and PSTN dialout works for me. I use dial out plan and for some prefix you can select PSTN outbound call rather than VOIP. You have other option to enforce PSTN outbound call. Just enter #0 and green button and than your number and green button. It works even with DECT phone.

• deadkenny
  • Topic Author
More
13 Nov 2008 13:29 #9 by deadkenny
Replied by deadkenny on topic Caller ID on PSTN / POTS calls
Dial-out works reasonably well for me, though the dial plan method seems flakey, e.g. if you put in rules that say 01 numbers use PSTN. It works most of the time but I find by the time it's switched through the speaker it is in fact already calling the other end, and they may have picked up already! Sometimes it seems to miss the need to do PSTN at all.

I find it easier to just do #0 before a call via PSTN. I can program that into the DECT phonebook.

The big issue for me is caller ID. It's just unusable for inbound calls without it.

But I feel the whole idea of PSTN phones for VoIP is a bit flawed, but it depends if you use VoIP for true VoIP. It seems most people don't. They use VoIP to make cheap PSTN calls and/or get a second line for free.

To make true VoIP->VoIP calls you need true VoIP phones with a phonebook that can handle SIP style addresses rather than traditional numeric phone numbers.

Oh, and of course the other problem with the Vigor 2700V (at least) is inbound PSTN calls take a long time to switch through and ring. I've had people give up calling because it's been ringing too long, but I've only heard about 3 rings.

Draytek Vigor 2700V (2S1L). Firmware: 2.8.3

More
13 Nov 2008 15:12 #10 by michal.strelec
Dial plan works OK for me. On the other hand I can use #0 only as adhoc manual switch. If stored in the address book of dect phone and dialed it doesn't work.
I use 2700VG with two different VOIP providers that are linked the same phone. I have add PSTN to the same phone. So calls from all three lines ring just one phone. It works like a concentrator, but with this PSTN switching issue it is useless.

• deadkenny
  • Topic Author
More
13 Nov 2008 15:21 #11 by deadkenny
Replied by deadkenny on topic Caller ID on PSTN / POTS calls

michal.strelec wrote: If stored in the address book of dect phone and dialed it doesn't work.

It may need a pause in there, between the #0 and the rest of the numbers, to give the router time to switch to PSTN. Not all DECT phones support a pause in the phonebook though.

Draytek Vigor 2700V (2S1L). Firmware: 2.8.3

More
16 Nov 2008 21:46 #12 by michal.strelec
Do you know some other simple solution that combines voip and pstn like draytek but actually works? I was thinking of buying new siemens voip gigaset, but the only issue is that connection voip router and dect base is integrated so I cannot put there my TrueCall device,

Moderators: ChrisSami