DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Smart Monitor - Error

More
06 Jul 2010 07:43 #62716 by bnbuk
Replied by bnbuk on topic Smart Monitor - Error
Whitby has become a favourite tourist destination for many people each year. There is a wide variety of accommodation in Whitby, including Whitby Hotels, Whitby Bed and Breakfasts, Whitby Cottages and Whitby Self Catering accommodation. You are sure to find something in Whitby to suit your requirements.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2012 22:39 #71557 by pcamen
Replied by pcamen on topic Re:

rpg wrote: Having same problem.

Plug the monitor PC into a different port (P3 or P4) - it wakes up again and sees the router. Plug it back into the mirror port and again carries on working for a few hours.

I'm having such a similar problem that I can't help but wonder if what I think is wrong with my setup applies to other people.

I've got a Vigor 2930 in transparent mode. I first tried simply putting it between my router and my main network switch but Smart Monitor was unable to see it to authenticate. Then I hooked up to a single PC (that I am monitoring) and a second PC hooked up to the port set to mirroring mode. Same problem, Smart Monitor can't see the router and won't go to the login screen.

From the documentation I've found on the mirroring feature of the Vigor routers that do not have a dedicated mirror port, it is a read only mirroring port which means when a PC with a single NIC is plugged into that port, it won't have any access to the internet and other computers won't be able to connect to Smart Monitor. As such, I set the NIC connected to that port with a static IP (as it won't get a DHCP address because the port is read-only).

When both NIC's are active, I get the same problem I had when I originally tried it which is that Smart Monitor is unable to find the router to authenticate, and I can't log in. However, when I disconnect the second NIC, voila, all is well, except the fact that I can't access that PC from anywhere other than the console.

When the primary NIC is on, Smart Monitor says recording 0 users at MOST and isn't monitoring. When I turn it off, it says recording 60 users at MOST and is monitoring.

My conclusion is that Smart Monitor will only authenticate against the router (and actively monitor) through the (read-only) mirror port.

When both NIC's are active, I suspect routing in windows keeps Smart Monitor from seeing the router, meaning that both NIC's are on the same network, so it always goes to the primary NIC that has a gateway defined and traffic never makes it to the second NIC.

I've found documentation from Draytek that shows how to connect the routers that don't have a dedicated mirror port ... it says to connect the Smart Monitor PC to a switch that has a mirror port. I'm going to try that, but I was never able to get Smart Monitor to see the Vigor 2930 when it was just somewhere out there on the network, so it doesn't seem promising.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami