DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Smart Monitor - Error

More
23 Nov 2009 12:22 #58977 by philst
Replied by philst on topic Re: Im working now

Philst wrote: Im working fine now.
The fix for me could have been a couple of things.

1. Mirror port 1 (i was mirroring port 2 previously)

2. Enable the mirrored port from a different machine other than the SmartMonitor PC. As when you turn on mirroring from the monitor port on the draytek it enables mirroring and then stops the port from making data connections, Problem is the router brings up a reboot request once you have turned on the mirroring but you dont see this because the port has already gone into mirror mode.

Hope this makes some sense ? ! :D

I think point 2 is prob why it was not working for me but can test any further today as cant take the interweb down today.

Spoke too soon, broke again, seems the software just looses sight of the router.
So is it a SmartMonitor fault or Router / mirroring fault, the router does still keep sending data to the mirrored port, maybe i need to nics one for the PC to see and talk to the router and the other to receive mirrored packets. :? :?:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2009 17:36 #59314 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Smart Monitor - Error
I dont understand whats wrong with this thing, the software is not the problem as I have used smartmonitor on a 2950 and a 5510 and it works 100% and stays working for months - its just the 2820 seems to lose itself with the software.
Has anyone got smartmonitor working continually with a 2820?

• info@jlcit.com
  • Topic Author
More
11 Dec 2009 13:00 #59321 by info@jlcit.com
Replied by info@jlcit.com on topic Philst - I feel your pain
When I first uysed the software it worked and I thought the software amazing.
Then it just stopped working so I uninstalled and reinstalled and then swapped the sniffing port.
Still not working.
Installed onto a new PC tested and it worked....Happy Days!?! Not so.....like Philst it just stopped working again

Thanks for the firmware upgrade with the sniffing port in the gui but it just doesn't work with smart monitors

Or are we all doing something wrong here?

neil

• info@jlcit.com
  • Topic Author
More
11 Dec 2009 13:08 #59322 by info@jlcit.com
Replied by info@jlcit.com on topic sent to support
Just emailed draytek support the link to this topic....will update you when I hear back

More
11 Dec 2009 13:10 #59323 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Smart Monitor - Error
Good luck on that!!! :roll:
Its got to be the 2820 like I said 2950 & 5510 work perfect, but those two have built in mirror ports that are designed for this purpose, difference is they still keep internet access where as on 2820 they dont.

More
11 Dec 2009 14:01 #59325 by flintham
Replied by flintham on topic Draytek Response
I tried to get this going a few weeks ago but the software never found the router. After many attempts I finally consulted the Forum and contacted Draytek UK. After pressing them for a response this is what came back...

...I reported to the draytek engineers.Draytek have acknowledged that this is a known issue and there is currently no fix available

Regards...

I have not had chance to follow this up yet but have set this thread to email me whenever there is a post, so thought I should update everyone here. Would be pleased to hear other peoples responses.

Moderators: Sami