DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Very poor, unstable ADSL2+ connection 2800 on Plusnet

• mynameishenry
  • Topic Author
More
02 Mar 2010 07:53 #1 by mynameishenry
I've been using an ADSL2+ since Jan 7th and have had a continuous stream of issues, starting with complete refusal to sync and leaving me now with a very inconsistent and largely poor connection. SNR inexplicably dives from a noisy 6.0 to 0.0 in the space of a few minutes, the sync drops, it will re-sync after a few minutes/hours with a different line speed. I've tried different modulation with no consistent benefits and have performed all line tests as advised. Plusnet tech have now said, after a load of pointless song and dance, that they are fully aware of a problem. Quote - "Dear Mr John,
The problem with this line is to do with the DLM server. The server itself is not faulty but there are known series of routers that cause this problem. I have dealt with lots of users recently that have had this problem."

So, they have kindly sent a Thompson to test but I rely on some of the 2800 filters to keep my children and computesr protected from web nasties.

Is there any course of action known to anyone that will drive my Draytek towards stable, clean service?

ADSLMax was just fine before....line speed is 5.5 down, 348 ish up, lots of uncorrected blocks and ping tests have revealed anywhere between 24ms and 400+ms to local servers. Thanks[/b]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2010 09:12 #2 by darren-mc
Ahh...you to ehh...

No is the answer...have not figured it out. I don't think that this is limited to the 2820.

I have a test belkin which does exactly the same thing.

For me this started just before December. I had been on ADSL 2+ for months with my 2820 without any issues. Since then its been a nightmare.

• mynameishenry
  • Topic Author
More
04 Mar 2010 10:14 #3 by mynameishenry
Replied by mynameishenry on topic Very poor, unstable ADSL2+ connection 2800 on Plusnet
Irritating.

The depressing part is that I have the 'speed' but now lack the line quality to stream TV.

Hope you have some good news to pass on soon.

Cheers

More
04 Mar 2010 11:57 #4 by lorian

mynameishenry wrote: So, they have kindly sent a Thompson to test but I rely on some of the 2800 filters to keep my children and computesr protected from web nasties.

Been there, know what it's like. My 2800 wouldn't even work properly on BT's ADSL.

A couple of useful tools to help protect the kids when you have to use another router:

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

http://www.opendns.com

• mynameishenry
  • Topic Author
More
04 Mar 2010 18:13 #5 by mynameishenry
Replied by mynameishenry on topic Very poor, unstable ADSL2+ connection 2800 on Plusnet
It's beginning to look like I may have to concede this one. It grates at my very soul that something should be made that is fundamentally flawed/unfixable.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Are there any Draytek (or any manf.) models that have big functionality and will work beautifully with ADSL2+ from Plusnet that anyone knows of?

More
04 Mar 2010 19:00 #6 by rolandrat
Cant help with your 2800, but I have just been trying Nortons Online Family system (its free), its a install on each pc but is very good.
What you could do is try and get a cheap WAN only draytek (is it 2900?) or even the 2820 with its WAN2, I use a 2820 and feed it with a Dlink 2740B which holds sync better than anything else, that way I keep the Draytek features, but sync and hold at a much higher rate (on my poorish line)

Moderators: ChrisSami