DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Very poor, unstable ADSL2+ connection 2800 on Plusnet

• mynameishenry
  • Topic Author
More
04 Mar 2010 19:36 #7 by mynameishenry
Replied by mynameishenry on topic Very poor, unstable ADSL2+ connection 2800 on Plusnet
Excellent idea - thanks. How do you set the feed up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2010 19:46 #8 by rolandrat
The way I have done it is this. I have the DLINK set up on 10.0.0.1 IP address, set the ADSL connection settings on this router as well to make the adsl connection - I disable the wireless, the firewall and anything else that might get in the way of a direct feed, I also enable DNS and DHCP relay (this also disables DHCP on the dlink). Lan cable from dlink to WAN2 in my 2820, the 2820 is setup on WAN2 as dynamic/static IP, I give it a IP address of 10.0.0.5 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.0.1, and thats it.
All the draytek functions work and you can access both routers web config its working fine. I also enable RIP protocol which is supposed to allow two routers to talk better (technical term it isnt but Ive read it might help!)
If you go down this route, and indeed get what I have, PM me and I'll email you some screen shots etc if you get stuck.
I think this is called "double Nat'ing" ive done it before and not come across any problems
Forgot to say the draytek is setup on a 192.168.1.1 IP range, this lets the two web configs be available, trying to setup both in the 192.168.1.x range caused me some problems getting to the dlink web config

• mynameishenry
  • Topic Author
More
05 Mar 2010 07:46 #9 by mynameishenry
Replied by mynameishenry on topic Very poor, unstable ADSL2+ connection 2800 on Plusnet
Makes sense, very grateful to you.
Will try a setup like this and see what I get.

Excellent!

More
08 Mar 2010 15:28 #10 by robdraytek
I think the OP has the 2800 not the 2820 (according to the thread title), so from what I've read elsewhere about the 2800 series this setup is not possible AFAIK.

I'd love to be proved wrong as I have a 2800VG which I bought and have stuck with for about 4 years because of the VoIP features. To get around the poor ADSL2+ capabilities of the 2800 series it would be great if the 2800 series routers could be connected by configuring one of the LAN ports as a WAN connection so it could be used as described in this thread.

I'm also with PlusNet and my exchange is about to be updated to 21CN, so I'm reluctantly about to buy a 2820Vn (again, mainly because of the VoIP features which allow multiple SIP account registrations). I didn't want to have to do this mainly because I wouldn't mind betting that not long after I make my purchase, DrayTek will come out with a replacement which has GigaLAN on all LAN ports instead of the present arrangement on the 2820 series!

Rob

DrayTek Vigor2820Vn using Firmware 3.3.4.1_232201

• mynameishenry
  • Topic Author
More
08 Mar 2010 15:56 #11 by mynameishenry
Alas, yes, it's a 2800 G and cannot use the linking described earlier. The best I have achieved so far is to use ADSL2 modulation, keeping the snr at about 12 and configured sync speed sitting at 6000. Speed still 5 ish down, 350 up. Stable for now.

Will start shopping for a new one...

More
08 Mar 2010 16:58 #12 by robdraytek

mynameishenry wrote: Alas, yes, it's a 2800 G and cannot use the linking described earlier. The best I have achieved so far is to use ADSL2 modulation, keeping the snr at about 12 and configured sync speed sitting at 6000. Speed still 5 ish down, 350 up. Stable for now.

Will start shopping for a new one...

Unhappily you don't see much of an improvement (if any) in your download sync speed then, all down to DrayTeks shortsightedness in using the particular modem chip that they did :(

At present my 2800VG syncs at the Max rate of 8128kbps and I want to get the best chance of setting my BT IP profile at the highest I can during the initial 10 day 'training' period, (whilst keeping the VoIP capabilities of the DrayTeks) rather than risk fcuking it up with the 2800VG.

I know I could wait and see what speed I would sync at and then get a better router after that period, but my lines profile with BT would by then be tarnished, and should a fault develop later BT would then turn around and say I was within accepted limits. I don't really want to go through the hassle of trying to improve matters later which would entail persuading PlusNet to persuade BT to re-start the 10 day training period!

A rather expensive solution to a problem which could/should have been avoided!

Rob

DrayTek Vigor2820Vn using Firmware 3.3.4.1_232201

Moderators: ChrisSami