DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

IPV6 on Draytek 2820

More
07 Apr 2012 16:31 #71815 by steve_west
Replied by steve_west on topic Re: IPV6 on Draytek 2820

smiler wrote: I disagree, if Bethere's mail ref the ipv6 infrastructure upgrade just meant that I just get a different ipv4 address, no problem, but if they also say I will need a router firmware upgrade to support this, sounds to me like the WAN (ADSL) side of the NAT could be going to ipv6 to me.

I've just been upgraded to the new Bethere network and it's working fine on my 2820.

If you're a dynamic IP Bethere customer (Be Value), you don't need to change any settings. (Note that the old Bethere dynamic IPs were so sticky that dynamic users kept the same IP for ages. This caught me out - I thought I had a static IP because it hadn't changed for years but I'm actually on dynamic.)

If you're a Static IP customer (Be Unlimited or Be Pro), you need to tweak router settings (VCI changes from 101 to 102) and your IP will change.

Bethere are paving the way for IPv6 in future with the new network rollout, but it's not on the cards yet. See:
http://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php?title=New_Network

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mgillespie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 May 2012 23:48 #72127 by mgillespie
Replied by mgillespie on topic Re: IPV6 on Draytek 2820

mgillespie wrote: So how's Draytek's IPV6 announcement coming along.....

Information seems really slow to emerge. Anyone want to bet they are hoping we all sell our 2820's and move on before they deliver the bad news???

Well it's clear this was always the plan, say nothing and hope it doesn't kick off.

It's VERY hard to recommend Draytek, what with their lax attitude to IPV6.

I think my next hardware purchases will be a Billion times better, if you know what I mean.

More
05 May 2012 09:54 #72128 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: IPV6 on Draytek 2820

smiler wrote: I just got a note from BeThere saying they will be upgrading everybody to ipv6 from the start of next year, so I guess my 2820 will be in the trash if I don't get support before I am migrated.....So I wait

I'd think it highly unlikely that IPv6 would be added to a discontinued model, partly for economics (there's no revenue to pay for the R&D) but also because it may not have the right processor or memory requirements. Why the hurry anyway? No major ISPs (those providing lines) or Web hosts are actually providing IPv6 yet. The end users are the last people who need it, so it's good to be ready, but there's not much on the IPv6 internet yet, and as for BeThere or any ISP, readying their network doesn't mean anything until they turn on access and even then, IPv4 will still be around forever. It's fun to play with IPv6.... but you go to Google and do a search using IPv6 and all of the results are for IPv4 only sites :-) The web hosts need to pull their finger out.

Forum Administrator

• mgillespie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2012 10:53 #72142 by mgillespie
I think the point was, it WASN'T a discontinued model when the IPV6 problem was around. Draktek have plonked thier head in the sand, stalled and now are saying that their now discontinued models won't be getting upgraded.

Draytek USED to be a premium brand, worth paying the premium prices for. What happened?

More
08 May 2012 15:15 #72151 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: IPV6 on Draytek 2820

mgillespie wrote: I think the point was, it WASN'T a discontinued model when the IPV6 problem was around. [/b]

What IPv6 problem?

Forum Administrator

• mgillespie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 May 2012 08:47 #72164 by mgillespie

admin wrote:

mgillespie wrote: I think the point was, it WASN'T a discontinued model when the IPV6 problem was around.

What IPv6 problem?

I think that sums up Draytek's attitude to IPV6 nicely.

Moderators: Sami