DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Xbox works.........what a shame !

More
04 Aug 2011 19:04 #68890 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Xbox works.........what a shame !
What firmware is on the router? I did read on one of the other forums that they're looking into ways to close off sessions when a schedule expires but haven't checked any more than that recently.

It's happening because the session is already established - if you could interrupt the session by turning off wifi or restarting the ADSL connection then that would have the effect you're after, but be kind of disruptive to the rest of your network in that way. It certainly would be nice if the router's firmware was smart enough to close off sessions like that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• radiohead
  • Topic Author
More
04 Aug 2011 19:42 #68895 by radiohead
Replied by radiohead on topic Re: Xbox works.........what a shame !
Hi Voodle, the version I'm running at the moment is 3.3.3_232201. I know it's as old as the hills but I've tried all the latest releases. They're all the same. I've reverted to the older version because at least it gives me (for the moment) the parental control / web filtering. I agree entirely with your comment that the problem relates to " a session is already established " I probably haven't done myself any favours on this forum by what I've said to Neal, but I believe this to be a fundamental issue. Have you checked the number of members who've asked this same question, and never got a response ? The Draytek manual explains how easy the scheduling can be applied...but it just isn't true. Restarting the ADSL is certainly an option & I'm sure I could write a "rule" to do just that, but there's a lot of people in my position who couldn't. It just seems like such an obvious flaw with the firmware that I'm staggered it hasn't been addressed by Draytek. I really appreciate your input, Voodle, & on behalf of all parents & small business owners I'd like to find a solution. Kind regards R

More
04 Aug 2011 20:58 #68896 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Xbox works.........what a shame !
My original idea, as Voodle has suggested, was to have a secondary rule, which, drops the internet connection for 1 minute. Setting this immediately after the other rule, would, in combination, stop the Xbox web traffic.

I sympathise that this isn't particularly a glamorous solution, and agree with you that the Firmware should be brought up to scratch to close the old sessions.

You're quite right that there are a quantity of posts on the forum, which haven't been answered. Sometimes, collectively, forum members just don't have an answer. I don't imagine folk are being deliberately arkward or ignoring posts.

I suppose, a little bit of me was thinking, if my parents told me "no games console after 9pm" and I ignored them, I would know about it in no uncertain terms - and not repeat the error! But as I'm not (yet) a parent myself, I understand that I am far from having first hand experience of bringing up children, in this day and age, with mobile phones, internet access, telly on demand and so on and so forth, and how challenging this of course must be. No wonder you're after some assistance from your Draytek Modem / Router.

Could there be other possibilities of pausing the wireless lan ? It's trying to close the games console sessions, and minimise disruption to other users. Is the games console on a wired connection?

Best regards,

Sincerely,

Neal.

More
04 Aug 2011 23:42 #68897 by cocospm
Replied by cocospm on topic Re: Xbox works.........what a shame !
Well, I am a parent and I have to say I greet with shock your report of taking a hammer to your child's XBox, and your seeking to gain control of your children's behaviour through technological means. I and my wife talk to our children, and instill a degree of responsibilty in them for their own behaviour. I couldn't ever envisage whingeing about some router's lack of functionality (and the subsequent failure of others to come to my immediate rescue) as the reason for my failure to communicate with my offspring. So, please, don't come on here and claim you speak for 'a lot of parents'. You don't.

• radiohead
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2011 08:03 #68898 by radiohead
Replied by radiohead on topic Re: Xbox works.........what a shame !
Hi Neal, dropping the ADSL temporarily to coincide with the schedule maybe the only way to go. The games console & all the PC's are hard wired so the suggestion of pausing the ADSL would be relatively simple to implement, although a Firmware fix would be the cleanest solution. Perhaps if you have any other ideas on a fix to this issue you could add them to this post.
Kind regards
R

More
05 Aug 2011 09:27 #68901 by nobody
Replied by nobody on topic Re: Xbox works.........what a shame !
Another possible try:
In the sessions limit:
try to setup a rule where the maximum sessions for a particular IP Address is set to 0 depending on the timer schedule
Dont know if that works.

But what should work is what nealuk already said: drop the internet connection for one minute before the firewall rule is activated

Moderators: Sami