DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Firmware Upgrade and now Locked Out of router!

More
05 Nov 2012 18:07 #74062 by ghostworks

Craigside wrote: Hi, I have another question for you. Looking at my telephone wiring, I suspect that my alarm system dialler is connected to phone line without a filter. It's hard wired in and was only installed about 2 years ago, and it's presence hasn't impacted my ADSL speed since its connection. Therefore, does a 'dormant' modem such as an alarm dialler only actually affect the ADSL service when it is dialling/using the line?

I don't want to rewire the dialler if I can avoid it, because unless I am mistaken it will only interfere with the ADSL while my burglar alarm is going off?

at your main socket ( NT5 ) where the line comes into the building to your first socket ( check if there is any junction box between as well etc ) if you add a ADSL nation face plate on the back you can connect the addition extensions and alarm line which will be filtered from the adsl , so you won't need additional filters around the building.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2012 18:18 #74064 by ghostworks
to avoid any noise and loss of signal inside your property is better to add a ADSL filter face plate as on the back of it you can add the extension lines to the back which gives you already filtered phone line as well as ADSL line on its own ( incase your adsl router is at a extension instead of at master socket ) these connections on the back for example on the adslnations face plate are in white for phone line only and blue for adsl line only. this reduces cable length for the signal as it would of gone down all extension until filtered off , where as with a face plate your separating them at the master socket then sending phone line down to extensions

More
06 Nov 2012 09:23 #74072 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: Firmware Upgrade and now Locked Out of router!
Just to give you an indication of the difference between a faceplte filter and a plug in one. When I first got ADSL I could not get a sync at all using a standard plug in filters! By fitting the face plate to the master socket I now get 2.8M on a line with 57db attenuation. The interference was coming fom all the extension wires in the house, remember ADSL is effectivly a radio signal coming down your phone line. I recently plugged in a 1920 original candlestick phone, would you beliive it the ADSL down speed went up! Probably because the impedance is much lower than a modern phone so is damping the interference from the extention wiring.

Howard

• craigside
  • Topic Author
More
06 Nov 2012 09:36 #74074 by craigside
Thanks! I shall order one of these and let you know how I go on...

• craigside
  • Topic Author
More
06 Nov 2012 09:56 #74076 by craigside

Howard Simpson wrote: Just to give you an indication of the difference between a faceplte filter and a plug in one. When I first got ADSL I could not get a sync at all using a standard plug in filters! By fitting the face plate to the master socket I now get 2.8M on a line with 57db attenuation. The interference was coming fom all the extension wires in the house, remember ADSL is effectivly a radio signal coming down your phone line. I recently plugged in a 1920 original candlestick phone, would you beliive it the ADSL down speed went up! Probably because the impedance is much lower than a modern phone so is damping the interference from the extention wiring.

I've just looked at my BT main socket. Plugged into the faceplate is my filter, and plugged into my filter is my phone wire (straight to the handset) and ADSL modem wire - thats it. In the house I also have a telephone extension upstairs that has a filter in the socket, but no phone. On the same extension cable is my 'alarm dialler' which is just wired into a connection box without a filter.

I cannot see where this extension from upstairs connects to the BT line because when I pull the main socket faceplate out there are only 2 wires connected. Does this mean my extension is connected into the main socket direct to BT's wire? Is this even allowed? Thanks

More
06 Nov 2012 12:18 #74078 by ghostworks
I'd start from the beginning, find where the BT line comes into the building and trace it from there.

I replaced my BT line from exactly where it enter's the premises to the Main socket with a CAT 7 STP 1200Mhz cable ( each pair is shielded as well as the whole cable ) as i have 4 phone lines this was perfect and reduced cross talk between pairs on the cable due to the pairs been shielded, I now have 3 ADSL lines each at 12Mb , load balanced

Moderators: Sami