Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3900 High Availability

• icehot
  • Topic Author
More
13 May 2013 16:31 #76176 by icehot
3900 High Availability was created by icehot
Hi,

There doesn't seem to be much info on setting up high availability. We have 2 3900's and have set them up connected to a switch via LAN1. It's setup with a virtual IP for the gateway, but some settings I'm not sure what to do with, are the VHID, should this be the same as the backup unit ID or different, I've currently set it up as different (1 & 2). The manual doesn't even mention the priority ID so I've got that setup as 1 on both units - is this correct, what does it do?

On top of that, how do I get the configs to sync? I created all my config on the master unit before enabling high availability, then added the 2nd unit, gave it an IP address and turned on the backup option in high availability and told it to point to the master - I assumed it would pull the config other than LAN IP address to the new unit, if this is not the case how can I do this? I'm used to Junipers NSRP where things just sync (and hence my VHID question, which in Juniper would indicate cluster IDs which should be the same).

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2013 21:43 #76196 by milltech
Replied by milltech on topic Re: 3900 High Availability
I used the article at http://support.draytek.net.au/index.php?/default_import/Knowledgebase/Article/View/560/46/configuring-high-availability-mode-in-vigor3900-router to play with this on our two 3900s. However, every time I turn on the HA on the slave it is available for about 10 seconds then disappears off the LAN! It should still be reachable from its local IP address but mine simply vanishes. The only way I can get it back is to reset it to factory settings.

Hope you have more luck than I did.

• icehot
  • Topic Author
More
15 May 2013 17:41 #76208 by icehot
Replied by icehot on topic Re: 3900 High Availability
Interesting I've had the exact same experience with that setup for the slave disappearing off the network. The only way I've been able to keep it on the network is by the master having a VHID of 1 and the slave a VHID of 2 (although it appears the config doesn't copy over in this example). I've not been able to test yet if that fails over properly though as they're still sat on my desk awaiting to go into a live environment when I've finished the initial configuration.

More
17 May 2013 14:25 #76236 by pigbloke
Replied by pigbloke on topic Re: 3900 High Availability
icehot/MillTech

I have experienced the exact issues you are having:
I followed the instructions in the article - The backup unit drops off the network and requires factory reset.
I set the VHID to different values - Failover works, but the config doesn't synchronise

I appear to have resolved it though:

In my config, I have the following IPs:
Virtual IP - 10.x.x.1
Master IP - 10.x.x.2
Backup IP - 10.x.x.3
In the HA config on the MASTER, you have to put BOTH units in group table. Give the Master a priority value of 1 and the Backup a priority of 2.
In the HA config on the BACKUP, you need to enter the Priority ID of the BACKUP (ie. 2).
On both units, set the VHID to 1

With this config, my failover is working correctly and the router config is synched between the 2 units.
I have had to set the WAN MAC address the same on both units to get internet failover to work, but this may be because I am using a BT ADSL connection in a lab environment and the BT router requires the MAC to be registered before it allows internet access.
I will be continuing testing next week, so if I encounter any more issues, I will update the thread.
I hope this helps.

Cheers
Nick

More
17 May 2013 14:34 #76238 by milltech
Replied by milltech on topic Re: 3900 High Availability
Thanks Nick, I will give it a try next week and report back.

Tim

• icehot
  • Topic Author
More
21 May 2013 15:16 #76288 by icehot
Replied by icehot on topic Re: 3900 High Availability
Thanks I'll give that setup a go and see how it goes, in my testing so far though I don't think I've ever got the config to actually sync.

Moderators: Sami