DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3900 High Availability

More
21 May 2013 18:17 #76290 by milltech
Replied by milltech on topic Re: 3900 High Availability
Yes, that worked! I now have the two 3900s working together and the configuration is propagating from the master to the slave.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• icehot
  • Topic Author
More
22 May 2013 12:38 #76303 by icehot
Replied by icehot on topic Re: 3900 High Availability
Ok that seemed to work to the degree of keeping both units online, and HA seems to be working - however I make a change to the config on the master and it doesn't get sent to the backup unit - unless I'm supposed to wait longer than 10 mins or so??

I've also noticed by following the ARP table that the backup unit seems to want to take priority over the master and always has the virtual IP unless the backup unit is disconnected... Very strange.

This is not filling me with a lot of confidence about their HA solution.

More
24 May 2013 09:22 #76315 by pigbloke
Replied by pigbloke on topic Re: 3900 High Availability
Mine worked perfectly as soon as I configured the units as stated, and they are still going strong a week later. The config synchs instantaneously - if you logon to the virtual IP and make a change, it seems to write the change to both units.
Before I had it working though, in the HA config screen on the backup unit I had the "Priority ID" field set to 1 (ie, the priority ID of the Master). This seemed to cause all kinds of issues, similar to what you are describing. It seemed like both units wanted to be the Master. When I changed this setting to 2 (ie, the priority ID of the Backup), everything started working, including config sync.
Incidentally, my units are on firmware v1.0.6.1, in case this makes any difference.

• icehot
  • Topic Author
More
24 May 2013 10:44 #76317 by icehot
Hi,

I think that is how I have it setup, see the pics below, also an ARP listing to show the backup unit is taking on the role of the master for some reason (also I am running 1.0.6.1 as well):

Master:

Backup:

ARP:

More
24 May 2013 11:04 #76318 by pigbloke
Replied by pigbloke on topic Re: 3900 High Availability
Yes, that's configured exactly the same as mine!
I assume you've tried rebooting both units.
Maybe (if you haven't already tried it), take a config backup from the master, then reset both to factory settings. Set the physical IP on the master and restore config. Set the physical IP on the backup. Then reconfigure HA on both.

• icehot
  • Topic Author
More
24 May 2013 11:57 #76320 by icehot
Yeah several times, before I did this setup I rebooted with factory defaults, so I will attempt to do a proper hardware factory reset this time and see how they act again.

Thanks

Moderators: Sami