DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Critical Firmware on US site but not UK?

• Andy
  • Topic Author
More
09 Aug 2024 10:28 #1 by Andy
It appears a critical firmware has been released for several models today 2865/2866/2927 on Draytek.com but nothing on the UK site yet - the release notes point towards Web GUI security.

Anyone have any info on this including when we will get UK versions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2024 13:11 #2 by ianfretwell
Replied by ianfretwell on topic Critical Firmware on US site but not UK?
That's usually anybody's guess - 1 week to 2 months of late!

Certainly for the 2865/2866/2927 there are FAR more fixes than the release notes mention. 4.4.5.2 has a later build date (31st July) than the 4.4.5.3 RC1 (18th June) that has been mentioned in other threads.

More
09 Aug 2024 15:18 - 09 Aug 2024 15:57 #3 by ianq
Replied by ianq on topic Critical Firmware on US site but not UK?
I had issues after upgrading to 4.4.5 which I reported in this thread :- https://www.draytek.co.uk/forum/routers-and-firewalls/25184-2927ac-fixed-ip-comment-corrupted-and-reboots-with-v4-4-5-firmware#103255

I reverted back to 4.4.3.1 which was, and still is, working with no issues. I've been reading the various threads about issues with 4.4.5.x versions on different routers waiting until someone says they have tried a version that is working. After reading that the RC4.4.5.3 was working and didn't have the problems 4.4.5 had I thought it should be safe to upgrade to the new 4.4.5.4 version, which is marked as an urgent upgrade.

After the upgrade the router restarted and everything appeared to be working, internet access, firewall and routing rules etc. But as soon as I login to the routers management page it locks up and reboots, as it did on v4.4.5. As I can't get past the dashboard view after logging in before it reboots I can't see if the Comment entries for the fixed IP addresses are still corrupted or look at any other settings.

I've tried logging in using http and https using Firefox desktop and mobile and Chrome and they all cause a reboot as soon as logged in.

Has anyone else tried this version and have they got it to work?

EDIT
I've just logged in using SSH and the router didn't reboot.
Using the command "ip bindmac show" I can see that the Comment entry is still corrupted in the same way as on 4.4.5.

Further Edit
I had the login page ports changed from the default 80 and 443. I reset them to default using SSH and now when I login the dashboard page shows for much longer before the router reboots. But if I click on any of the menu options it immediately freezes and reboots. The CPU usage shows as 5% and the memory as 90%. Time to do a factory reset, flash back 4.4.3.1 and restore the backup!

I should also have mentioned that this is on a 2927ac router.

Last edit: 09 Aug 2024 15:57 by ianq.

More
10 Aug 2024 10:34 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Critical Firmware on US site but not UK?
Thanks for testing this. I think I'll wait before changing from 4.4.3.1 on my 2927ax !

More
10 Aug 2024 10:41 - 10 Aug 2024 11:48 #5 by ianfretwell
Replied by ianfretwell on topic Critical Firmware on US site but not UK?
My findings are the opposite really -everything above 4.4.5 is the most stable my 2866Lac has ever been.

Also use a 2866ax, 2927ax & 2927Lac - no issues now on any of them either (2866's on 4.4.5.2  /   2927's on 4.4.5.4)

The corrupt bind to Mac entries are not going to fix themselves - you'll have to do manually. Once you do they will remain fine - unless - you revert back to a <4.4.5 firmware.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2024 11:48 by ianfretwell. Reason: Added firmware version details

More
10 Aug 2024 13:48 #6 by ianq
Replied by ianq on topic Critical Firmware on US site but not UK?
Nice to know that 4.4.5.4 works on at least one 2927. :-)  Did you install it as an upgrade, keeping your existing settings, or did you have to do a factory reset when installing 4.4.5 initially and then re-enter all your settings?

Editing the LAN Comments to correct them wouldn't be a problem, if the router didn't reboot as soon as I log in! Having to do a factory reset with 4.4.5.4 installed and then entering all my settings again would be REALLY tedious and time consuming and isn't something I'm looking forward to having to do. I'm pretty sure that when I upgraded to the 2927ac from a 2925ac I did re-enter everything after a factory reset rather than restore the previous configuration, so it shouldn't be due to old / incompatible / corrupt settings causing it. All the previous 2927 firmware upgrades I've done have worked without issues.

Moderators: ChrisSami