DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Critical Firmware on US site but not UK?

More
04 Sep 2024 05:22 #31 by neil201
Replied by neil201 on topic Critical Firmware on US site but not UK?
I'm glad you've taken the time to work this out as clearly it seems to only affect a few of us and if everybody had the same issues then Draytek would have received boat-loads of complaints.

Something interesting to add with my LAN to LAN entries is that two or three were created under a 2860 and then imported when I upgraded the Router to the 2927, I'm wondering, and will try when I get chance, deleting and recreating these three first will resolve the issue? Were all your LAN to LAN entires created on the 2927 or imported from a previous Router? Did you have any Dial-in VPN entries present in the re-uploaded configuration that needed to be reimported from scratch? I've about six which wouldn't be hard to recreate if need be.

The second Router, with only two LAN to LAN entries have been exclusively created on the 2927, it's located remotely so I'm loughed to upgrade until I'm physically adjacent to the unit so can study it's behaviour but will do so, most likely after I've upgraded the main one I've got the issues here with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2024 12:42 #32 by ianq
Replied by ianq on topic Critical Firmware on US site but not UK?
As you say if this was effecting everyone Draytek would have to have acknowledged it by now. So it would appear that it's related to some setting / configuration entry in some way that not everyone has.
I have a lot of dial in VPN's and they all imported without any issues and are fully working.
I have upgraded from a 2920 to a 2925, then to a 2862ac and then to the 2927ac. The 2927 came with firmware 4.2.2 and has been updated numerous times without problems until the 4.4.5.X versions. At some point I remember having to do a factory reset and re-entering all of the settings. Possibly from the 2925 to the 2862? But if any of the individual settings that had their own backup and restore options I used them if they worked, so I can't definitely say when the Lan to Lan profiles were created. But I'm pretty sure it would have been on the the 2925 or the 2920.

More
12 Sep 2024 13:40 #33 by oddbits
Replied by oddbits on topic Critical Firmware on US site but not UK?

As you say if this was effecting everyone Draytek would have to have acknowledged it by now. So it would appear that it's related to some setting / configuration entry in some way that not everyone has.

Well I suspect it is affecting every router, firstly filter out all the users who have them but never update firmware, or who haven't even the knowledge/ability to manage the settings, then those who haven't yet updated to latest firmware, then you have thos who don't actually use the features that have issues, they have no VPNs etc
Next you have those who simply buy another router, one of our clients came to us earlier this year, they urgently needed to replace their router which had overheated, it was dropping connections. We got new router and it was only when we came to copying configurations we discovered they were 3 years behind on updates, updated and problems went away, (Lost sale of the replacement we had ordered -would most support people simply fit a new device?)
We hadn't even noticed the corrupted comments on another clients 2927ac, until we were ckecikng the forums and then checked their settings.

And you have some who, as we did contact technical support, and get told to do this and that, spend hours checking logs and testing this and that, whilst costomers become frustrated at being used as testing grounds (and eventually go elsewhere? )
Draytek support don't seem to recognise that the current raft of issues are firmware related and people should roll back to a stable version (almost whatever the security issues maybe) until a thoroughly tested stable new firmware is available

More
15 Sep 2024 11:35 - 15 Sep 2024 11:40 #34 by neil201
Hi all, okay then... so I took the plunge and backed up followed by deletion of all my VPN connections, on v 4.4.3.1. I then upgraded to 4.4.5.5 and then re-built all my LAN to LAN VPN profiles one by one (I have about 30x from and to various places). I got to about the 17th and the Router started playing up again, one message I had seemed to suggest the VPN name was too long so went through and shortened a few others - still to no avail and the unit then went unstable. I backed up where I'd got to, deleted all the VPN profiles and works fine again - the GUI also shows correct information. I've now downgraded to 4.4.3.1 again, restored all the original VPN profiles and back to square one. There's an hour of my Sunday morning I'll never get back again

So in essence deleting the LAN to LAN profiles does 'fix' the problem but then recreating doesn't neccesarily work sadly - we're getting there in the fact that by trial and error by those persistent on here that it definitely is a LAN to LAN profile bug causing the issue.

I'm going to chuck this back at support once more to see if they'll acknowledge and actually do anything about it. I have previously securely shared my Router config with them for testing and they claimed couldn't recreate the issue which is somewhat odd given everyones observations here.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2024 11:40 by neil201.

More
18 Sep 2024 06:33 #35 by neil201
Got some good news for you all. I put this back to support and had a very supportive and helpful reply with a private link to v4.4.5.7 (beta) for me to test. I can confirm they have finally resolved the issue and with this flavour of FW running on my 2927 for over 24hrs it's been totally solid.

I'm expecting within the next week or two this will appear publically and confident it will resolve the issues for us all.

I've a,second, more remote, 2927 which I'm not going to update with this beta version until the final version is released.

More
18 Sep 2024 07:46 #36 by ianfretwell
Replied by ianfretwell on topic Critical Firmware on US site but not UK?
Been (unofficially) available over a month now so I wouldn't hold your breath for an imminent release !

https://i-lan.net.au/downloads/Vigor2927/Firmware/Beta/V4.4.5.7_RC7/

Moderators: ChrisSami