DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Announcements - Forum migration and username change to expose email address!

More
04 Sep 2024 13:00 #31 by piste basher
I can see your amended title...
The following user(s) said Thank You: HodgesanDY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2024 16:09 #32 by Chris

Hi Chris,

Just a request/query really. On the old forum, I swear you could “quote” a selected part of someone else’s post, whereas now you can only quote the whole post, which is a pain if their post is a large one.

Is it possible to have that feature back?

Thanks again 👍🏼
Hi HodesanDY,

Thanks for the query, I took a look at the old forum software (it used to use https://www.phpbb.com/demo/ if you would like to look at its old functions), and it's the same as here, you can't select a piece to quote, it just has a quote button which results in this: https://www.draytek.co.uk/images/forum/forum-quote.jpg

With the subject, the behaviour should also be the same as before, you can change the subject of a topic you have created, and replies to it can set a different subject, but doesn't replace your original subject for the topic. Any subsequent reply should pick the original topics subject https://www.draytek.co.uk/images/forum/forum-subject.jpg 

The email notifications is a bit of a strange one, I can't see no rhyme or reason why it did it either, but will continue to look into it, please let us know if it reoccurs as I can imagine that becoming very frustrating.

Also to let you know, work on the Draft functionality has commenced, I'll hopefully be able to release this in a week or so.

Chris
DrayTek forum moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: HodgesanDY

• HodgesanDY
  • Topic Author
More
04 Sep 2024 22:04 - 04 Sep 2024 22:25 #33 by HodgesanDY
Hi Chris,

Regarding the quoting of a selection, you were right, it wasn’t from this forum. So, I had to search for which forum I had seen this feature on, and I did eventually find it. This particular forum is powered by ‘XenForo Community Platform’.

The feature is very slick. You can select a section of text in the body of a post and immediately after selecting it, two options appear next to your selection, “+Quote” and “Reply”.

If you click on “Reply” it will instantly start a reply post with that selection quoted, but if you click “+Quote” it stores your quote into a list, so you can select another section of text and “+Quote” that too, and so on, until you have all the bits you want quoted. You can then start a new reply post and in that post you can choose “Insert Quotes” which opens your list of stored quotes (with the additional option to rearrange them quickly before inserting; just a drag up/down function, or remove). Once the list of quotes is inserted you can then add your reply text before and/or after each quote.

For example, replying to each of your above responses would take seconds with this feature rather than copy/paste numerous times or making large selections of text to delete just to filter down to the few lines or words you’d like to quote.

Regarding the draft function, amazing, I could’ve used it several times over the last month or two here and am looking forward to being able to use that feature again, thanks so much for that, much appreciated.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2024 22:25 by HodgesanDY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

More
05 Sep 2024 16:56 #34 by Chris
Hi HodgesanDY,

I took a look at XenForo, the quote reply feature is excellent, we can't do it exactly the same way that they do due to the way replies work on this package, but we could potentially use the "Topic History" as the source for quoting, as it appears below the reply area.  If this sounds agreeable, I'll submit the proposal in due course :)

Chris
DrayTek forum moderator

• HodgesanDY
  • Topic Author
More
05 Sep 2024 17:38 #35 by HodgesanDY
I think I understand what you mean, and that history view above the reply area has come in handy quite a few times. Anything that is in some way close to the functionality of the XenForo feature, would be awesome.

Thanks! 👍🏼

• HodgesanDY
  • Topic Author
More
08 Sep 2024 15:24 #36 by HodgesanDY

Hi Chris,

Another issue to report. On a mobile device, namely the iPhone XS, the only way to display post numbers (#1/2/3/4 etc) and the timestamp of each post, is by turning the phone to be in landscape view and zoom the browser out to 50%; Safari in this case.

This was not an issue on the old forum and makes it hard to keep track of a topic/forum’s relevant timeline.

Thanks again.
Hi Chris,

the above problem mentioned before, seems to be back! I can’t see the post number or the timestamp. Strange.

thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

Moderators: ChrisSami