DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820Vn Firmware v3.3.4.1 available on draytek.com

More
02 Oct 2010 19:59 #64057 by barneymcgrew
Replied by barneymcgrew on topic 2820Vn Firmware v3.3.4.1 available on draytek.com
Hello
After some trouble downloading the firmware from the TW site, I finally got it and have updated my 2820Vn.

So far all is well. Speeds are exactly as they were before and I can now connect my new wireless-n bridge device without crashing the router and sending it into a reboot loop (requiring re-flashing and restoring) as was happening before.

Still, this is early days and had it not been for a fairly time dependent requirement to get the wireless bridge working, I would have left it until the update was available from the Draytek UK site.

I have to say that until I got the new bridge just recently, I hadn't had any trouble with the 334 version of the firmware. I was connecting a couple of wireless devices (one wireless-n) but only occassionally. They didn't cause a problem. What is so different about this bridge, I can't say but the effect was dramatic.

Fortunately, after may years using Draytek products (nearly 10 for me), these little hiccups don't faze you and you just swing into emergency recovery mode!

Now, all the Draytek techies have to do now is figure out why they can't match the speed performance of other routers like the Thomson Speedtouch range, on ADSL2+ lines. Ah, well I guess you can't have everything and I suppose you do get an awful lot of functionality with Draytek kit.

Anyway, all seems OK for now. :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2010 15:07 #64079 by wildoat
So far no speed drop off for me. W

More
05 Oct 2010 09:07 #64081 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic 2820Vn Firmware v3.3.4.1 available on draytek.com
I remember the last time the firmware was updated for the 2820 Admin advised that we should wait until it appeared on the UK site as the modem codes were revised specifically for the UK on our site. Admin can you advise if this is still the case as I note that modem code I currently use is listed on the draytek.com site?

Howard

More
05 Oct 2010 11:11 #64085 by barneymcgrew
Replied by barneymcgrew on topic 2820Vn Firmware v3.3.4.1 available on draytek.com
This latest update is now up and listed on the UK support site.

More
05 Oct 2010 11:22 #64086 by j03y
I suppose it doesn't really matter now as the new firmware is on the .co.uk site but I have compared the SHA-1 hashes of both firmware downloads, all and rst, and they are exactly the same files if anyone has doubts.

Howard Simpson wrote: I remember the last time the firmware was updated for the 2820 Admin advised that we should wait until it appeared on the UK site as the modem codes were revised specifically for the UK on our site. Admin can you advise if this is still the case as I note that modem code I currently use is listed on the draytek.com site?

More
05 Oct 2010 12:03 #64089 by j.baker
I downloaded the "new" firmware from the draytek.co.uk site.

I upgraded with the reset firmware

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1286276136&v=11045184
1615 kbps download
573 kbps upload

This is way too slow. I reverted back to the older 334 firmware

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1286276401&v=11045225
6379 kbps download
700 kbps upload

As you can see there is a major performance problem. I am running a basic config with no QOS/bandwidth management.

The new firmware on my router is broken.

I am connected to a standard ADSL1 exchange.

Regards

John Baker

Vigor2820 series with firmware 3.3.5.2_RC2
ADSL

Moderators: ChrisSami