DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2930,2820 Maybe others. DNS and packet loss issue

More
06 Mar 2012 11:25 #71480 by frag
Yay! go post on their forums

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2012 12:28 #71588 by clivemesser

Ferrograph wrote:
So I bought a Mikrotik 450G, RouterOS device as a temporary solution..... Wow! what an incredible piece of kit!
For £95 delivered Ive got a gigabit router with 5 assignable Gigabit ports that does so much more than the Draytek for half the price!

I'm running a Mikrotik RB750GL router with my 50Mb XXL Virgin connection with the (Virgin supplied) Netgear cable modem/router in modem bridge mode.

I'd been using a Vigor 2910 for 2 years or so with Be. Which was fine until I went with the Virgin connection. Unfortunately the Vigor 2910 firewall throughput is limited to approx. 25Mb, so I never could max the Virgin connection out. Had a look at the prices of Vigor 2920/2930's and nearly had a heart attack. ;) Didn't expect much for the £45 I paid for the 750GL. Very impressed with the LAN to LAN throughput via the switched gigabit ethernet ports and get the full 50Mb throughput from the WAN even though I have a semi-complex set of connection tracking / NAT rules. The 750GL 400MHz CPU is only 30% used for 50Mb throughput so expect it would be capable of 100Mb WAN->firewall->LAN throughput when my connection is upgraded in a couple of months time. Not that I've actually tested it, just a gut feeling.

More
03 Apr 2012 17:01 #71777 by mpwox11
About 3 weeks ago I installed a Vigor3200 (replaced a Vigor2820) and within a few days the customer was experiencing DNS issues. Some PCs were fine, yet others couldn't resolve DNS - yet there were all on fixed DNS servers and using OpenDNS. Only a reboot of the router solved it.
I've now installed a Vigor3200 on one of their others sites (again replacing a Vigor2820) and within 2 days experienced the same issue - a complete breakdown of DNS even though the router was rebooted only hours before in that day.
Yet previously had not seen this on these sites using the Vigor2820s.

• ferrograph
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
03 Apr 2012 17:09 #71778 by ferrograph
Personally after grappling with this issue on 2930 and 2820 and reading a lot of forum posts, and had communication with Draytek personal via phone (eventually) I think they broken some software component common to many models and its crept in to a few more as time has passed.

Still no official fix.

More
06 Apr 2012 17:24 #71812 by linker3000
I've just come to the forums to check this very issue out.

I have recently put the latest 3.3.7.1_232201 Feb 6 2012 build on my 2820 and am noticing that every now and then DNS resolution on client and server PCs stops working. The router's pointing at Google ( 8.8.8.8 ) and OpenDNS ( 208.67.222.222 ) and direct queries to these addresses or via the router (using it as a DNS proxy) just don't go anywhere. Even the local Linux caching nameserver (pointing directly to Google and OpenDNS) can't 'dig' or 'nslookup' anything. The only fix is to reboot the router.

I too am wondering if something's broken.

More
20 Apr 2012 17:44 #71970 by gerhard
I have exactly the same issue, same firmware version running on 2820. The only thing that fixes it is a reboot. Anyone know which is the last firmware version to have a properly working DNS?

Moderators: Sami