DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2930,2820 Maybe others. DNS and packet loss issue

More
09 Dec 2012 10:00 #74470 by markiebrown
Thanks everyone for your comments and input.

I ended up doing some homework and had to make a hard decision, settled on building my own router.
I'm using an unused PC that was laying cluttering my office, with the pfsense router software and I'm absolutely thrilled with the results.
My speeds have doubled, from a maximum throughput on Draytek of no more than 50Mbps with firewall and QOS active to the full 111Mbps my line supports with everything active.
No more DNS issues either.
It has features galore and everything just seems to work. A lot more work involved and probably not as user friendly to start with, but the results are far better than I could have ever imagined.
It only took me a couple of hours of knowing nothing about pfsense and everything was setup with all my load balancing, open ports setup, QOS. I'm now able to use blocklists to block incoming traffic from entire countries and continents.

Obviously not everyone would find this setup convenient or even practical, but as a business user with more demanding needs this has been a godsend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ferrograph
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
09 Dec 2012 10:57 #74473 by ferrograph
pfSense is an excellent choice. I ran one in a Vm for quite some time and had no complaints.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami