Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2930,2820 Maybe others. DNS and packet loss issue

• ferrograph
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
02 Dec 2012 23:14 #74415 by ferrograph
I share your sentiment. After putting many Drayteks on various sites over the years thinking you were putting the best in, its gut wrenching to have to replace them all when it suddenly dawns on your that they are fundamentally flawed.

Give Mikrotik a shot. May be that "something different" you are looking for.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2012 09:01 #74417 by rothers
Mikrotik look very interesting, do they do a model with a built in ADSL modem ?

More
04 Dec 2012 13:36 #74434 by markiebrown
I've been thinking about Mikrotik for a while now, they seem the logical alternative, I have other users who rave about them.
I've unfortunately not seen an ADSL version, I need that as one of my load balancing options too, but I may be mistaken.

• ferrograph
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
04 Dec 2012 13:41 #74435 by ferrograph

MarkieBrown wrote: I've been thinking about Mikrotik for a while now, they seem the logical alternative, I have other users who rave about them.
I've unfortunately not seen an ADSL version, I need that as one of my load balancing options too, but I may be mistaken.

Yeah this was one of my concerns too before making the leap.

There are a number of pure ADSL modems about. Funnily enough the best/most popular one seems to be Draytek 100 series, which do PPPoE to PPPoA conversion. - There, I said it! Draytek have one good product. :o

More
04 Dec 2012 14:01 #74436 by markiebrown

Ferrograph wrote:
Yeah this was one of my concerns too before making the leap.

There are a number of pure ADSL modems about. Funnily enough the best/most popular one seems to be Draytek 100 series, which do PPPoE to PPPoA conversion. - There, I said it! Draytek have one good product. :o

Is there any particular model of Mikrotik you'd recommend for the usual plus dual load balancing/fail-over, that's not going to break the bank?

More
04 Dec 2012 17:20 #74439 by babis3g

MarkieBrown wrote:
Is there any particular model of Mikrotik you'd recommend for the usual plus dual load balancing/fail-over, that's not going to break the bank?

Hi sorry i am involved but as is public conversation , i would say keep in use the draytek because is indeed from the best load balance policies and with best businnes options such real qos,dos traffic manger etc.

As mentioned at my post up if at bind ip to mac give a fixed ip to all devices and set a dns server for both connections it will not disconnect or have issues so often to fail. I have tried my self and no problems so far.

MarkieBrown wrote:

But if you still looking and can wait about a month for an adsl modem with load balance have a look at asus n55u ...At the moment is not supporting an other wan,but i have it (cos i want to send it somewhere ..i still using my 2850 right now dialy) and i know about middle of this month they will convert one of the (Out of 4)lan port to wan.Not sure if the load balance it will be great or other settings like qos,dos traffic etc will fits you ... but i am sure should support failover at least which is seems not that difficult and will not break the bank.ebuyer or amazon have it for 90 with free post option.if you want i keep in touch when the beta will be out soon for the dual wan...but try first the settings i mentioned for bind ip to mac at your draytek....i am sure will helps much better and hope the engineers of the draytek find the issue

Moderators: Sami