DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2930,2820 Maybe others. DNS and packet loss issue

More
23 Nov 2012 21:22 #74323 by klemm
I purchased a previously returned Vigor2850Vn from dabs.

All seamed ok until I started browsing the web and popular web sites would randomly take ages to start loading. I suspected a DNS issue. I tried a few configs i.e. via the router as a proxy and direct to my ISP dns and others. I don't have time to mess about with this kind of problem so its gone back in the box and return to dabs, I suspect the previous owner/buyer had the same issue.

I'm very disappointed because I took me ages to find a business class replacement for my 8 year NetGear DG834g v1.

:(

Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2012 21:50 #74324 by apburden
Today I had the first response from Draytek customer services, and I have to say the response has not filled me with confidence. judging by this thread, they must have had numerous queries on this issue but they haven't even acknowledged that it is a known issue. Instead they just want ping data, have suggested that I change DNS servers (which I had done out of desperation already), and start a syslog to capture the next occurrence. Interestingly we had another pc's Internet access suddenly face problems today (an email attachment download) stalled), and I watched the data diagnostics as I forced all its traffic through the other WAN by adding a new temporary load-balancing rule for its IP address. This seemed to revive the DNS lookup and the email downloaded quickly thereafter. Meanwhile, of course, my laptop was happily able to access the Internet on the original WAN. But I cant seem to create the problem 'on demand' yet.

More
24 Nov 2012 01:22 #74326 by babis3g
i also notice with both models i have.... it is happening only to pc.s that are wired....the mobile that are with wi-fi they don't have any problem and still browsing fine when this occur
Having the default dns from the 2 isp is much worst but when i add an other one and use the function: force router for dns is little better and not happening as much but still can not browse some times
Have to reboot to work again normal

More
29 Nov 2012 17:30 #74384 by babis3g
As i mentioned at my other 2 posts it is happening in many models (reported by all of you) but adding my own dns servers for both connections it helps better than the 2 defaults isp's ones
I mean it disconnects less frequent

I have find out and i am up and running for more than 2 weeks ... if i use the bind ip and give fixed ip address to each device ... like describe here
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_dhcpfix.html
i have not got any disconnection yet and all pages loading fine with both of my internet connections
Give a try and see if this solve the issue

More
29 Nov 2012 18:28 #74385 by apburden
Interesting - I will try binding some of the pcs too. I had already been binding the VOIP phones, although I think they still have had intermittent problems with their time server and out-going calls.

However, Draytek customer services also just provided me with a more recent firmware update (v2920_363RC2) which is dated 2 Nov 2012. I have uploaded this and I am monitoring the situation. So far so good, but I haven't put back all the load balancing policies I want yet, so will see if this makes things worse again when I do.

More
02 Dec 2012 19:10 #74410 by markiebrown
I was just about to decide which Draytek router was going to be my next purchase to replace my ageing 2820.
Think It sounds about time to drop Draytek for good and maybe find a different brand completely :(
Pity though, because I really like Draytek and have been using them for all my clients routers for many years now.

Moderators: Sami