DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs

• mrjolly
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jun 2012 20:54 #72571 by mrjolly
Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs was created by mrjolly
Having just installed a new Vigor 2850n and plugged into my ADSL line from BeThere I've not been able to get a stable ADSL connection using this router.

Plugging the original BeBox (Thomson router) returns my connection back to normal.

I've worked with BeThere support (second to none) and they've done all the usual things to help overcome the documented issues for connections using Draytek routers, namely switched me over to 'Service Profile 20' which is supposed to work better with non-Broadcom chipset modems. This didn't help and so they have tried various settings at the exchange end and even dropped me back onto ADSL1 (from ADSL2+ Annex A).

I have tried all TEN(!) modem variants of the latest firmware (3.6.2) and although I've had varying success I still cannot keep a stable line for more than 5 minutes. Again plugging the original router back in and I'm back online and stable again. I'm currently bridging the original router into my Draytek so I can at least get some of the facilities of the Draytek whilst still maintaining a decent stable connection.

My question is this: does anyone know of anything I can do to get the Draytek ADSL modem component to play ball with my line? I'm losing the will to live and frankly BeThere have done everything I think they possibly can. How can a £200+ router be simply so utterly useless? Yes I don't have great sync speeds and a long line but surely if other modems can sync and stay up why can't the Draytek do the same?

I'm hoping I've not wasted my money and that some genius will have some suggestions for tweaks to the ADSL settings that will give me the same stability as the others. And in that I don't mind if the sync speed is reduced.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2012 21:42 #72573 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
I think this would be your best modem code / firmware: ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2850/Firmware/v3.6.2/AnnexA/Vigor2850_v3.6.2_A_2471201.zip

Also, the page http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor100_setup.html talks about Be, I wonder do you need to consider the Additional Setup for MPoA section?

"Some ISPs using MPoA send 'rogue' (invalid) ARP messages to the modem... ...telnet to the router... ...and issue the command ip arp accept 1. This is available on the Vigor29XX series routers."

Best regards, Neal

• mrjolly
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jun 2012 22:56 #72580 by mrjolly
Replied by mrjolly on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
Thanks Neal,

That is one of the firmware versions that I've tried but I still got the disconnections. I have tried different cables to the socket, direct into the master socket (behind the front plate) and various other telnet-only options on the router, the longest I've had a connection is 8 minutes. Basically all is fine, then the the Tx/Rx CRC errors start piling up and it disconnects. My SNR isn't the greatest at 6-7, with the att being around 56dB.

But it's odd that other routers seem to hold the line just fine.

Looking at the KB, I've got mine set-up just like that although I'd not set it to receive invalid ARP so I will try that in the morning. After a day of this messing around I no longer have the patience :wink:

I will update when I have some more news and thanks again.

After this my next trial will be to stick this router into a completely different ADSL line at another location with another ISP and see if it's any better. If it's not then perhaps there is an issue with this router itself and I will get it exchanged.

More
14 Jun 2012 11:50 #72584 by davidmatthewson
Replied by davidmatthewson on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
Interesting.. I've just installed an identical router on a Zen adsl 8Mbps line and also have this issue. FW = 3.6.1

The router is slow to sync, connects but drops the line in about 3 mins or so, resyncs and so on all day. But if I put an ancient Thompson Speedtouch on the same line it connects fine...

Zen have been, as usual, v helpful but can't suggest much to do other then they agree it's not syncing properly.

I've raised a case with Draytek - no reply so far - but don't want to feel I've wasted £200 UKP....

Any thoughts pls?

Brgds

David

• mrjolly
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2012 16:12 #72594 by mrjolly
Replied by mrjolly on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
@David

Welcome to the fun! Well it does sound like we have a similar issue so I hope that if one of us is lucky enough to find a solution then we will both have a solution.

Things that I have been trying is all of the modem versions of the firmware (ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2850/Firmware/v3.6.2/AnnexA/) which have no effect on keeping a stable line.

I'm having a feeling it might have something to do with that splitter cable for VDSL/ADSL. Although it suggests you unplug it when in non-dual mode I seem to get a better sync when I have it plugged in regardless of the dual mode setting (the one that asks you to plug in / unplug the cable).

In the same boat I've found on the router itself both ADSL and VDSL lights to blink even when I say ADSL Only (rather than Auto) so I wonder if the firmware is a little infirm let's say and doesn't turn off the unused modem properly.

@Neal

I've tried what you have suggested with no change in the dropped line :(

More
14 Jun 2012 16:17 #72595 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
I went back to firmware 3.3.6.1 232201 as I am documented on here with the same issues. I m on BT. Now I stay connected pretty much indefinitely , I spent a few months with Draytek support but failed to get a solution, glad this post came up as I was going to give 3.6.2 a hot but I think I ll wait.
You can find the old firmware on their ftp site. Although I lose some of the new features at least my speed stays consistent and I don't get slowed down by my ISP for constant drop outs.

Moderators: Sami