DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs

• mrjolly
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jun 2012 17:12 #72667 by mrjolly
Replied by mrjolly on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
It'll be interesting to see what they find David. Both of our routers will be hitting their returns dept at the same time, they must think it's Christmas!

If it's just a 'bad batch' where there is some duff component on the board or something then that's life I guess but the number of issues I've seen might suggest a deeper problem. Let's hope they can get to the bottom of it and find a fix that only needs a new firmware.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mrjolly
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jun 2012 10:07 #72706 by mrjolly
Replied by mrjolly on topic Well done Draytek Service Centre :)
Ok guys, well I've just received my router back from the Draytek Service Centre, a very quick turnaround if I'm honest.

Ticket inside said they had verified the problem, replaced a component, re-flashed and tested as okay.

Plugged her back in, configured my ADSL changing as little as possible to find it couldn't connect for more than 2 seconds. Changed the connection to ADSL only (not the Auto setting) as I'd noticed the VDSL led appeared to be on more than the ADSL one, just didn't feel right. Anyway still no joy.

I then plugged the RJ11 into the dual-wan adaptor despite dual-wan not being enabled and well I never, 30 mins of solid connection and very few Rx CRC errors (typical on my line to get a fair few) but none of the blowing up of errors followed by DSL reboot after 5-8 mins. It's not syncing as high as the little Bebox (Thomson TG585v7) but frankly I've never had any of my modems sync as high as that one so I'm not pinning that on the Vigor.

Obviously not happy having to spend £10 to send a brand new piece of equipment for repair but so long as it keeps up the line stability I'll live with that.

Now judging by the sheer number of BT Openreach vans outside my house and the shiny new FTTC cabinet that is now being fitted out I hope that the fix hasn't inadvertently nerfed the VDSL part of the Vigor when the time comes! (I've seen the other threads just hoping that it's simply related to the same issue the service centre fixed)

Anyway, just a final thanks to everyone who tried to help but it does looks like it was a hardware fault so there was nothing anyone could have done. As an aside they had reflashed the router with firmware 3.6.2_232201.

My advice is, after exhausting localised issues, get onto Draytek support and see if they can help as it might just be something you can't fix at home. Their support was very quick to get back to me and took my tests at face value without going through the typical "well I don't trust what you've said so please try all of these obvious tests before sending it in", they accepted I'd tried everything and simply got me to send it back with a very quick turnaround. I hope this thread helps anyone else who comes across it and the others that popped in such as David get their issues resolved as easily.

More
26 Jun 2012 10:57 #72739 by davidmatthewson
Replied by davidmatthewson on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
I've just got my RMA from Draytek UK and so will send my 2 week old 2850 back - like MrJ I don't much appreciate the waste of time I've spent on this let alone the cost of sending it back - Draytek might like to think what this says about their customer care.. but that's for another day!

OOI, my old Draytek 2600 has been on this line now and 'up' for 62 hrs so I'm really confident the problem is with the 2850 and NOT the line..

More to report, I hope, in a week or so.

Finally, I actually have 3 28xx series routers from Draytek (from clients of ours) which all seem to have a similar fault to mine - the sync, logon but after 15mins to 8 hrs drop the line and start 'flip flopping' - trying to sync, failing and so on... so maybe more common than I/we tought!

David

More
02 Jul 2012 20:50 #72824 by davidmatthewson
Replied by davidmatthewson on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
Bah - just got the router back - the 'fix' note' says tested OK - no components changed..'..

So I reconfigure it, plug it in and it starts rebooting after 45 seconds.

I check out the config, it all looks fine but it is useless as a router.

Plug the old Draytek 2600 in and it works fine..

BT have been out to check the line, Zen the ISP says it looks fine so I've now wasted £200 on a router, plus £10 on p&p to Draytek (not refunded) and have now, I suppose, to get my money back from the reseller..

I'll be onto Draytek in the morning but am not hopeful.

After having used Drayteks for years and sold several dozen to clients I'm not impressed at all - as this eems to be a common fault I'd suggest staying away from them until Draytek sort this issue out.

David

More
02 Jul 2012 21:03 #72825 by justins
Replied by justins on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
I too have my one week old 2850n dropping out. Have tried firmware upgrade and factory reset but all to no avail. Have sent Support a note but given that they seem to be sending back faulty routers back I maybe better seeking a refund? I would have thought that Draytek would make announcement. Further, if there is a known fault then just recall the product. Do they really think that remaining quiet about the issue is going to do nothing but damage their corporate reputation.

More
12 Jul 2012 17:56 #72908 by wamoney
Replied by wamoney on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
I have a 2850Vn (since Nov 2011) and the VDSL ability is awaiting arrival of the FTTC in my area so in the mean time I am using two ADSL2+ connections, WAN2 via a Vigor 120 modem direct to BE and WAN1 to Sky.
Both are stable with the Vigor 120 on WAN2 being the most stable, 900 hours plus up time and 14mb per second download as per Speedtest.net.
The Sky connection on WAN1 reasonably stable but a number of CRC errors 1780 after 388 hours of up time and a 15mb per second download as per Speedtest.net.

I appreciate this is not an exact match to the problems listed here but you would at least be able to access the 2850 functionality albeit by buying yet more Draytek – that said I see the BE modem has the ability to be bridged as I think one contributor has already mentioned.

I actually went on line to the forum to see if there were comments about the later versions of the firmware as I was somewhat puzzled by the numbering convention – I have 3.3.6.1 (originally supplied with router) and saw the current version as 3.62 and the notes on the web site against 3.6.2 don’t show the firmware as ever going back to 3.3.6.1. So give all the above I will await develpments before touching the firmware!

Moderators: Sami